• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New guy with new smoker questions

Dirt Road BBQ

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Just got an American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss and my first competition is in less than 2 weeks. Trying to shorten the learning curve by asking a few questions here.

I'm used to using my 22 wsm that only needs 4-6 fist sized chunks of smoke wood, so I'm wondering how much smoke wood I should use for the Pit Boss?

My next question is roughly how much lump charcoal(Royal Oak) should I take with me to the competition?

How much charcoal should I start with at the beginning of the smoke and roughly how much time should I expect before reloading?

I'm going to season the new smoker this week and do a practice run this weekend, so any help is appreciated.

DSC00577.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

Last edited:
What are you cooking on the WSM? What will be on the ABS? That will make a big difference.

Don't have that kind of pit, but would love to have one. You would probably use more charcoal to get this thing started. It looks like it would hold heat like the WSM. Would probably count on using a little more wood too. Not much help I know, but to be on the safe side, bring double what you would normally use for both.

That's a very interesting and very unique smoker you have there. I suggest that you create a new thread with the title being something like "American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss smoker help".

Best of luck with it! Whatever you do, try to get 4 to 6 good smokes on there before going to a competition with it. Been there; done that [not enough practice/use of the newer smoker]; learned that lesson..

Smoke Me Bbq runs one of those...you might try finding them on facebook. Theyre near kc also

What are you cooking on the WSM? What will be on the ABS? That will make a big difference.

Gonna try to do everything on the Pit Boss and have the WSM as backup. Might have to use the WSM for my burnt ends because I don't know how well a pan will sit on the rotisserie. Thanks for the replies every bit of info helps.

Wow! that is an awesome looking new pit! Congrats on that! That design with the rotating shelves will make all of the meat come out even. No need to rotate the meat! SWEET!!! I like the design. No help on the specifics sorry, but GOOD LUCK!!

that is a really cool looking smoker!!! My advice would be to cook on that thing as much as possible before your comp....to get a feel for it, its kinda like getting a new set of golf clubs it takes a few rounds to see how far they go and what you have to do in different conditions.... no difference here !!!!best of luck and keep us posted!!

This setup is like my Good-One. The baffle is all the way across the back. I go through about 4 bags of hardwood lump and my smoker is about four times the size of yours. You should be able to do a brisket in about 12 hours @ 250*. If you don't do a brisket before your comp., be sure you allow resting time before turn in. The advantage you have is the rotisserie. That will keep your heat even throughout the cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fine looking piece of equipment.I wish I could help you out but that is way above my talents and offset. Good luck

Seasoned the smoker tonight, so think I have a handle on the charcoal and how long it will burn and how to control the temp. Now, I just need to figure out how much smoke wood to use....any thoughts?

I would use 5-6 fist sized chucks per bag of charcoal to start with. If you need more smoke add more wood.

Back