Cold-smoked brisket?

jmilleronaire

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The thermometer says it is -22.9F, and I just fired up the WSM for a brisket flat.

brisket%20is%20on..jpg

I was going to do a couple of pork butts, but the meat market was out of them, they grind up their stock for deer processing this time of year. They didn't have any packer briskets either, but they said they'd certainly be able to get me one if i give them a little notice, which is far better than the previous meat market I went to that insisted I had to buy by the case.

Hoping that I don't run out of fuel trying to heat up something in this weather, though!

Man that’s cold. Let us know how it turns out. I’ll be interested to see if you can keep heat in the WSM.

So far I'm impressed with my little beauty, she came up to temp with the damper settings not far from where they'd be in the summer!

I agree. The WSM is an amazingly-well designed machine. I used mine for an informal BBQ class this summer at a camping rally, and it just cruised for me, like it always does. I sent this link to a good friend in Ely to show her that you can Q in that weather, too.

I think the wind is all you will need to worry about, but dang, that is crazy cold!:shock: Looking forward to the results.:cool:

Well, i just moved into this house, and I guess firing up the smoker on a winter morning is a great way to meet neighbors!

"Well, we were wondering what kind of people moved in, but anyone that's got a smoker going in this weather has to be good!"

I think the wind is all you will need to worry about, but dang, that is crazy cold!:shock: Looking forward to the results.:cool:

luckily, the snow drifts in the background are taller than the smoker, and are blocking the wind fairly nicely. :becky:

I am assuming there will be leftovers.....

please....

I should have gone with 'putting the "brisk" in "brisket"' for the title!

Yeah....when I saw the post title in Q-Talk, I thought......"ewww", but now I get it.

As my old man always said, "That's colder than a witches tit!" I thought it was cold here this morning when I woke up to 1 degree. You guys up there are brave souls!!!

Yeah....when I saw the post title in Q-Talk, I thought......"ewww", but now I get it.
I thought the same...I was like "WTF"???:shock: All I could figure was trying to cure it like pastrami or something!:laugh:

I am remembering how much wood my Meat Mama went through, even when it was on the funkotorium deck and wind breaked with welding blankets... Oh Lord it was hard to keep that pit up to temp (325) when it was - whatever degrees.

checking-for-updates.png

I don't care if you are moving. Don't be a tease...

Status report: DELICIOUS!

So, i put the brisket on at 6:30am, had to leave for my old place at 8:30am but the temp was holding steady. Topped off the fuel before I left, gave it time to settle in again. Got back at 5:00pm and it was chugging away right in range, and about 20 minutes later was probe-tender!

I didn't get any after pics, but I fed a bunch of future in-laws and the friends that helped me move. Yes, there are even leftovers, and the food got great reviews.

I love that WSM. I wouldn't have guessed it would give a flawless performance in conditions like that, but it did!

Thanks for the update!:cool: That is some extreme WSM cooking.:thumb:

I am impressed with the WSM now I wish I would have gotten one instead of the Excel20 but you live and you learn. The lowest I have even cooked in was in the low 30`s

Back