• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reverse Flow?

Smokin_Joe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I would like to get a response from those of you that compete. Do you use a reverse flow, or something else. Thanks guys and gals

I use a reverse flow for competing and for catering ...would not use anything else-STICKBURNERS RULE

I would like to get a response from those of you that compete. Do you use a reverse flow, or something else. Thanks guys and gals

I use a reverse flow for competing and for catering ...would not use anything else-STICKBURNERS RULE

So let me ask you this... what do you think of a Lang? I am thinking of building a Lang clone, but how would that do for comps.?

I have a Horizon off-set and have huge temp variations from one side of my pit to the other. My understanding is that reverse flow will help keep pit temps stable. However, a simple modification to traditional off-sets may also do the trick. By simply moving the smokestack to grate level the pit temps seem to stay the same (think Jambo). Just another way of dealing with the problem, FWIW.

So let me ask you this... what do you think of a Lang? I am thinking of building a Lang clone, but how would that do for comps.?

We have the Lang 84 as well and that's what we use for comps. Once it gets to a proper temp, the Lang will hold onto it for a while. You have to feed the fire obviously, but that's the life of a stick burner.
If you are going to build a clone, just make sure you don't cut corners. I've seen that way too often with people building clones of any type of smoker.

I have a Horizon off-set and have huge temp variations from one side of my pit to the other. My understanding is that reverse flow will help keep pit temps stable. However, a simple modification to traditional off-sets may also do the trick. By simply moving the smokestack to grate level the pit temps seem to stay the same (think Jambo). Just another way of dealing with the problem, FWIW.

I have heard the same thing, the only reason im asking about reverse flow is because i have a tank that is just calling for a build..

That is what I have is a lang look at the pic in the avitar. It works great easy to keep temps. You want to keep as level as possible but that it still drains as this keeps the temp pretty even. Langs are the best made I do believe

I have a Bubba Grills R250 smoker. I love it. There are quite a few threads on here that show you how to build it yourself.

We have the Lang 84 as well and that's what we use for comps. Once it gets to a proper temp, the Lang will hold onto it for a while. You have to feed the fire obviously, but that's the life of a stick burner.
Toss me into the Lang crew!

As for stable temps, I know that between the blanket we put on 'The Mistress' and my fire guys, they manage to keep her roughly 5-7* from end to end and have done it in the rain as well. Can't ask for much better than that!

If you are going to build a clone, just make sure you don't cut corners. I've seen that way too often with people building clones of any type of smoker.
Great advise! If anything, I would try insulating the cooking chamber a bit (we use an old moving blanket).

Have you played with the tuning plates? This would be the first place I would look at....

Back