• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Does the BRITU method make sense?

IrondeQuer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I tried the BRITU (Best Ribs In The Universe) method for the first time yesterday to cook up some baby backs. Flames were lapping up the sides of the WSM wall when I put it together after getting all the coals ashed over and the wood burning.

I have to say, I felt a bit uncomfortable using this method. Most of what I have learned from the Brethren says it's best to control the pit temp on the way up. It took just about two hours to get the temp where it needed to be to start cooking after the initial spike of over 350. And then, it was a problem to maintain.

Is there something special with the technique? Is there a reason the ribs would cook differently if they were cooked at 225 as the cooker warmed up and then brought up to 275 to finish?

Mind you, I'm not arguing with the results. The ribs were tender and tasty, so in some way the method certainly does make sense.

But I'm wondering if there are there better methods for making consistently good ribs.

Yes there is a better way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMDdQ6ZoiKw"]Pitmaster T Series - Weep 'em and Read (Success with No Foil High Heat Ribs) - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not even sure what the britu technique is. I've read two accounts of it and there is really nothing special going on there. Is it the rub? The finishing sauce? The cooking temp? It looks like the original process is about 15 years old, so the honey/sweet sauce, over the top rub may have been something new to the competition circuit.

As a side note, an uncontrolled cooker temp does not seem to be a good way to get consistent results. I'd start with a minion method at about 250 and play with foil / not foiled and find what fits your taste. There are so many variables in rubs and sauces, I would start with a good clean controlled fire and work from there. Once you have a rub/sauce profile you like, then start playing with temps and smoke.

Hey, thanks for the video, Bludawg!

Yeah, Jonesy, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Very straight forward and plenty of reasons to buy more ribs!

Thanks!

all your wood chunks were gone in the first 45 minutes. Next time, bury the chunks in the pile of unlit coals at varying depths, then drop 10-12 fully lit briqs on top. Close er up with all vents wide open, let temps come up to 225ish and start closing down intakes to try to stabilize around 275. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to get TBS (thin blue smoke) and it's time to toss the meat in. Leave cooker closed till the 3 to 3.5 hour mark before checking on ribs for the first time. Kiss is often better.

^ compare the ribs doing it that way to what you just did and report back to us. :)

Sounds like a plan, Ropo!

I was very surprised by the smoke ring even after burning off the wood. That's about the deepest penetration I've ever had on a rack of ribs.

Back