Rule Question: Deep Frying

How about wrapping the chicken in some little bacon blankets before cooking.... works for everything else :)
Why do I think judges would score the chicken down in flavor? Just like turning in lemon chicken.

The "deep" is the key word in the deep frying rule. As long as you don't submerge meat in fat, it's legal, regardless of temps.

The "deep" is the key word in the deep frying rule. As long as you don't submerge meat in fat, it's legal, regardless of temps.

So one could pan fry smoked, not fully cooked, chicken in hot oil as long as it isn't fully submerged? I'm not familiar with the rule, as I never considered frying my chicken, but this is an interesting thread.

So one could pan fry smoked, not fully cooked, chicken in hot oil as long as it isn't fully submerged? I'm not familiar with the rule, as I never considered frying my chicken, but this is an interesting thread.
Based on the current rule I think you could. However on Friday I'd explain to the Reps exactly what you plan to do and get them to say go ahead just in case they come to you Saturday and say DQ. In this case it's better to ask permission.

Now as to my personal thought if I was judging - There's no way this is BBQ and it's being questioned at the table and my score would be 5 or less after I was told it's legal by the Rep.

History lesson - the par boiling them deep frying rule came about because a competitor fired up a big fire under a big pot full of sauce then when boiling added meat to simmer in the sauce. Bottom line don't mess with Juggy the Beerman for those that know him. The parboiling rule took him 3 years but he got it. And he sells beer at Royals/Arrowhead stadium hence the name.

Yeah, I think you should do it. Especially every contest that I am at...

Just sayin'...

Now as to my personal thought if I was judging - There's no way this is BBQ and it's being questioned at the table and my score would be 5 or less after I was told it's legal by the Rep.
{pot stir mode}
Wait, what happened to judging the entry as a representation of the cook's intention? It's either not BBQ - then the rep should DQ it; - or it is - then judge it as a representation of the cook's intentions regardless of your personal feelings
{/pot stir mode}
:becky:

It's gonna be a thin line and will depend on who's the rep.

One of the New England teams floured there chicken a couple years back and then cooked it hot to crisp it. Got DQ'd even though they didn't fry it, it gave the impression of fried chicken and that was enough for the DQ.

It's gonna be a thin line and will depend on who's the rep.

One of the New England teams floured there chicken a couple years back and then cooked it hot to crisp it. Got DQ'd even though they didn't fry it, it gave the impression of fried chicken and that was enough for the DQ.
I remember this. What struck me about that incident was that the rep didn't bother to go ask the competitor, they just assumed it was fried and DQ'd it at the judge's table.

I'm pretty happy with my chicken recipe, and I don't plan on frying it in the future. I was just wondering if that would be legal, given the discussion. Maybe I'll fry my brisket slices and see what that gets me. :crazy:

I remember this. What struck me about that incident was that the rep didn't bother to go ask the competitor, they just assumed it was fried and DQ'd it at the judge's table.
Lesson learned from this - if you plan to try anything out of the norm let the reps know on Friday so they have advance notice of what you are doing. I'd even provide pics of their practice for the reps to see.

This was the last year of the infamous Grill Kings event I believe. It was an unfortunate DQ but should the rep really stop everything, go out to the tent and ask the team if they fried and then make the call on DQ? Push the boundaries of legality and you will get burned eventually. Its happened to me multiple times in NEBS grilling contests.

Yea.. I think they should. It's part of their job.
To decide that the manner in which something was cooked without seeing it, or at least asking the cooks about it is completely wrong.

This was the last year of the infamous Grill Kings event I believe. It was an unfortunate DQ but should the rep really stop everything, go out to the tent and ask the team if they fried and then make the call on DQ?
Yes, absolutely. If the rep or a contest official didn't see it being fried, poached, parted and put back in the cooker or whatever, no sculpting, no sauce pooling, there are no foreign objects or illegal garnish in the box, and it's the correct type and cut of meat how can they arbitrarily decide how the meat was prepared and DQ the box? So many cooks are now doing all their prep and cooking behind tent walls or enclosed trailers that unless the contest officials / reps actually walk around and spot check cookers (what a concept), they have no idea how any of the turn ins are prepared. Cooks operate on an honor system and it works pretty well. The rep in this case made an incorrect assumption and punished an honest cook for it.

Fearless prediction: There will be a huge blow up at a big money event this year over how a competitor cooked their meat.

I believe there was a ruling against breading a while back, but there are so many cooks doing the butter bath thing currently it would be a huge flap to attempt to stop the practice now. But I suppose the answer to your hypothetical question is yes.

Lesson learned from this - if you plan to try anything out of the norm let the reps know on Friday so they have advance notice of what you are doing. I'd even provide pics of their practice for the reps to see.
Absolutely great advice. Bring the rep over to your site if need be and show them what you are doing. Saves getting the DQ at the end if assumptions are made.

Yea.. I think they should. It's part of their job.
To decide that the manner in which something was cooked without seeing it, or at least asking the cooks about it is completely wrong.

No their job is to make the call. You want to push the envelope go ahead, but know you might get your hand slapped...

The cook should have cleared the method with the rep prior to the contest.

If you have any questions about a cooking method could you call KCBS to get a ruling in writing before the contest?

Back