• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Charcoal on sale ?

There is an academy in Snellville, GA. Outdoor Gourmet ridge briqs $2.99/16.6lb bag. B&B oak lump $9.99/20lb bag (normally $14.99).

It is 12-something for a two-pack of twenties at Lowe's, too. Not as good as Memorial day, for sure.

CD

+1 on the Academy stuff if you like Royal Oak. It burns a bit faster than Kingsford blue, and the coals are smaller so they get through the grate quicker. It is definitely stronger, but I like the stronger flavor. I stock up on it whenever they sell it this cheep. Most of the time I mix it with blue in the WSM putting the blue on the bottom since it takes longer to fall through.

I installed a sheet of expanded metal on top of my charcoal grate to keep the small bits from falling through so easy.

Was at Lowes this morning and they had Cowboy 100% natural 20 pound bags for $9.99.

I just realized I just described the perfect woman for me...

The Dayton Ohio area does not have the $12.99 price in the Lowe's Labor Day ad or in store. They are at $19.99. Had them price match HD for 2 twins, but thought I would pass it along for any Brethren in this area.

Embedded obummercare tax !

Ahh, so I guess I can use my "obummercare" health insurance rebate to buy some. I can buy ten double packs with this years rebate, at 12-something a twin pack. Last year's rebate would buy me 32 bags.

If I add in the money I have saved because my premium is the same as it was two years ago, I can buy another 16 twin packs. It used to go up ten percent a year.

That's a total of 1,200 pounds of charcoal I could buy with the money I have saved in the last two years on my health insurance.

Since I already have over 300 pounds of charcoal, I guess I'll just keep that money in my packet.

CD

The box stores always run charcoal specials on the holidays, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor day, taxes have nothing to do with it.
Grabbed another 80 lbs yesterday at HD.

On a serious note, I wonder why the prices aren't as aggressive as they have been the last few holiday sales. Thirteen bucks for two-twenties doesn't suck, but two-twenties for less than ten bucks was better.

Since I am pretty well stocked, I'll pass on this sale, and hope I make it to Memorial Day 2014 -- and hope the price cuts are more aggressive.

CD

Back