• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Organizing Recipes

Pepperplate ~ it's a wonderful thing! :clap2:

I used to use Evernote and even just a directory in my email and would send copies of recipes to myself. Recently I started using Pepperplate and love it. Now my wife and I both use it (share one account). We even both add to the shopping list feature on it so if one of us goes grocery shopping after work, we know what we need.

On supported sites, the "Add to Pepperplate" bookmarklet is awesome! But even copying/pasting is easy enough too.

I use evernote for everything recipe and BBQ related. Syncs between all my devices so I have access to everything on my laptop, desktop, iphone and ipad.

+1 for Paprika.

I'm new to the Q, but have other culinary interests and have been slowly compiling my recipes in here as well.

I use a Database with a Recipe interface in combination with my Tablet. The app also allows for printing so I do have a hard copy. When I get home I'll post the name of the app.

Great ideas. I spend most of my time on my iPhone or iPad. The rest of my recipes are in traditional cookbooks. Trying to figure out how best to copy online recipes and quickly access cookbook recipes. I need to check out paprika or pepper plate. Anyone concerned about these companies folding at some point and losing recipes?

I save my recipes as simple text files on my PC. If I see a recipe in a book I like, I practice my keyboard skills and type it in. That way I can make all the units the way I want them. For example, rather than typing "2 tablespoons" many authors write "2 T." or "2 tbsp" but I like the whole word. And I like my ingredient list not numbered and single spaced. Things like that. Having spent many years in front of a keyboard I can type at over 80 wpm so it doesn't take very long.

In my recipes directory are several subdirectories, BBQ, Ethnic, Baking, Salads and so on.

When I am going to cook, I print out the recipe and take it to the kitchen. If it gets all oily or soiled, I just pitch it. In fact, I generally pitch it anyway.

I also have a few compendium directories like a huge batch of sausage recipes I got somewhere once. They are all in html format and it wasn't worth it to me to transcribe them or edit them to text so I just keep them under my Projects->Smoker->BBQ recipes directory.

My recipe files are named names that I chose. For example, I once found a wonderful Hungarian cookbook and copied a recipe for Sült Karfiol Tojással. Did I name the file that? Heck, no! I named it bakedCauliflowerWithEggs.txt because that way I have a chance of being able to tell what the recipe is without having to open it. Within most of my lowest level directories containing actual recipe files, I usually have a directory called To Try Someday, where I keep recipes that I have kept but haven't made yet.

And yes, I back up my PC.

I only own a few actual cookbooks. "Joy Of Cooking", plus "Louisiana Cooking" by Paul Prudhomme, plus "Sultan's Kitchen" which is a wonderful Turkish cookbook but I can't remember the author's name right now. Maybe a couple of others.

To make something for the first time, as I just did Brunswick stew for example, I often read several online recipes until I see what's going on and then I pick and choose the way I am going to try making it. I'll type it in, and make it that way, then if I decide to change something I make a note on the printed out page and bring it back to my PC later and edit the recipe file. That's how I "dial in" recipes.

Sorry for the long post!

seattlepitboss

My OS is Linux,I created a file in My documents folder called" Cook Book" with sub folders for different categorizes IE; BBQ with sub folders> Sauces>Rubs> Beef> Pork> Chicken. I

Windows is my OS, and I also create folders and sub-folders for categories and grouping.

I save them as plain text as they can then be imported into any program, or copied into an e-mail or a message post here as well.

Paprika is an awesome app. Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to store my to do recipes in there and blog the ones I like. Thanks again!

Back