• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ'ued and grilled food is bad for your health...

jtphillips

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, I eat way too much grilled, smoked food. It has been scientifically proven that eating food that is charred, or cooked over charcoal, greatly increases your risk of cancer. Now before you go arguing, keep in mind that I am absolutely passionate about grilling, smoking meat; I just got done cooking some chicken thighs. What I am trying to say is, if somone who is extremely passionate about grilling and smoking food is saying, " hmmm...is this going to give me cancer?" then there must be something here. I just wanted to get some mature feedback on this topic.

Sincerely,

Tyler

Well, pretty much everything we eat or drink is "killing us," that is why we should be eating all things in moderation...but if this is worrying you that much, don't eat them anymore.

moderation is the key. But the average person don't that much bbq or grill.

Breathing air which contains oxygen (a proven oxidizer) will kill you also, it just takes a long time most times.

Personally I do not worry about eating grilled or BBQ'ed food. There are many other ways to live longer like not going into certain neighborhoods after dark, not falling asleep before the wife after a big argument, not diving into a empty pool after drinking several beers, ect.

Go ahead and have another rack of ribs and enjoy the life you are living at the moment.

Everything causes cancer. This ain't no health food but neither is beer. I find it amusing when some people worry about Gluten or MSG and ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room. :p

Any meat cooked at high temps , including fried or broiled , will produce carcinogens .
Also when grilling , the fat dripping down on the coals or flame will produce a "carcinogenic " smoke that is deposited on the meat . I am not that worried , everything in moderation.

And when I BBQ its " low and slow " and the fat does not touch the coals/flame...

According to research, once a month is considered a moderate intake of such type foods....

Let's face it, how many of us actually eat BBQ only once a month? I am not trying to make this into a debate; there is nothing to debate---it is a scientific fact that it will increase your risk of cancer. I guess I was just curious how people (including myself) justify eating these types of foods without ever questioning the long-term side effects. Maybe this isn't a topic about BBQ, maybe it is about diet in general. I feel like I am going off on a tangent, so let's just all agree that barbecue is something that should be eaten in moderation, but all of us eat too much of. :-D:-D:-D

Give me barbecue....or give me death!!!!!

Sincerely,

Tyler

I guess we now know what happened to the Neanderthals.

This reminds me of the 80's scare of eggs being bad for you...turns out, that's not necessarily true. I think that I'll keep on keeping on and keel over when it's time. So many things out there are bad for you, you'll never get away from it all! The fumes from pumping gas into your car are bad for you, but do you alter your driving route to minimize how often you fill up for that reason? Any free radical in your bado is prone to mutate a cell into cancer, and we're born with those cells already in our body. I've seen people that don't excercise, eat a bad diet and smoke like a chimney live longer than others that do all of the right things in regards to good health. It's all going to come to an end at some point, might as well go with a full tummy of yummy food and a smile on your face!!!

This reminds me of the 80's scare of eggs being bad for you...turns out, that's not necessarily true. I think that I'll keep on keeping on and keel over when it's time. So many things out there are bad for you, you'll never get away from it all! The fumes from pumping gas into your car are bad for you, but do you alter your driving route to minimize how often you fill up for that reason? Any free radical in your bado is prone to mutate a cell into cancer, and we're born with those cells already in our body. I've seen people that don't excercise, eat a bad diet and smoke like a chimney live longer than others that do all of the right things in regards to good health. It's all going to come to an end at some point, might as well go with a full tummy of yummy food and a smile on your face!!!

Word. :clap2:

I am a cancer survivor, so let me put my two cents in.

My cancer had absolutely nothing to do with my eating, drinking or other lifestyle choices. It just happened. That's what the doctors said, not me.

As others have said, moderation and balance is most important. I love a chargrilled steak, but I don't eat one every day. But when I do, I go for the best steak I can get.

I do cook 90-percent of what I eat. That more than balances out the few chargrilled steaks I do eat. Packaged, processed foods are the fastest road to obesity, diabetes and heart disease -- probably cancer, too. Period. Just cooking at home from fresh ingredients can save your life. And, it tastes better.

Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and cook REALLY good meats to enjoy. Go for quality, not quantity with your BBQ and steaks.

Even though I am a cancer survivor, I still enjoy a really good cigar (usually from a place I can't mention). I only smoke about a dozen cigars a year these days, but they are dayum good cigars. Quality over quantity.

Where we Americans mess up is by indulging in too much of a good thing. People living on the Mediterranean are some of the healthiest people on earth. They eat VERY well, but it is quality eating, not quantity.

I have no plans to stop grilling and smoking meats. I just try to make it really good, and take my time eating it -- and try to mix plenty of fruits and veggies into my diet.

Fruits and veggies are awesome grilled, too.

CD

I think the scientists err on the side of caution a lot.

The formula is like this

Carcinogens cause cancer
Smoking meat creates carcinogens
Therefore smoking meat causes cancer

It's not a direct link that they are pointing out.

What's not proven is how much causes it. If you think about it, you could very well get lung cancer from breathing all the smoke while your grilling/smoking.

so its back to the moderation theory.

Funny though, they will say smoking meat causes cancer but they wont say anything about the volume of processed packaged food we eat that may be causing cancer and/or untold other diseases (diabetes, etc).

Sunlight increases the risk of cancer too. I'm still going outside and I refuse to use sunblock, because the next 'scientifically proven fact' coming down the pike will probably be that sunblock increases the risk of cancer.

There are many ways to die. I doubt that BBQ will be the death of me!

Back