Taking off the top of a drum for a UDS

R

Rowdycue

I have seen lots of nice looking drum smokers on the forum and I have a question. Lots of them use what looks like the original lid. I know some have the lockable ring but I have 3 drums that do not have the ring and I wondered how to take the lids off without using a torch to cut it. I know it will need to fit tightly and that seems impossible if torched. Is there a way to undo the crimp along the lid to remove it? Maybe my drums are different from most but if I can use them I will. Any advice would be appreciated.

I wouldn't recommend trying to save the lid on a closed drum. If you remove the crimped band the top of the drum will have a very sharp edge and be pretty flimsy. Most folks use a kettle lid for closed drums and just cut the lid inside the crimped ring.

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I used my grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the top off, about 1/2 inch below the top. I ground down the sharp edges and took some thick plastic tubing and ran around just to be safe. Unit never got hot enough on the top to melt the plastic. I never found you need a air tight seal to make a UDS run right, so that never bothered me.

You have to really embrace the U in UDS for my work!

IMG_1676.jpg

Thanks J.D., Bentley, and CajunSmoker .The lid remover is too expensive to use 1-2 times. I think I will try to find a drum with the locking ring. I don't have a grinder. I have an electric scrolling saw I use for wood. Would this work with a metal cutting blade if there is such a thing? I may end up getting a Weber lid. Just checking out the possibilities.

Thanks J.D., Bentley, and CajunSmoker .The lid remover is too expensive to use 1-2 times. I think I will try to find a drum with the locking ring. I don't have a grinder. I have an electric scrolling saw I use for wood. Would this work with a metal cutting blade if there is such a thing? I may end up getting a Weber lid. Just checking out the possibilities.

Yep...it's exactly what I use to cut the lid out of my drums...just drill a pilot hole near the edge...and rock-n-roll!

IMG_6162.jpg

I used a angle grinder with a cut off wheel and I cut off the lid just below the bead around the top. I rounded off the edge as best I could with the angle grinder, than with a belt sander and then some hand sanding. It worked great.

You can also use a cutoff wheel in a circual saw.

Back