UDS and adding fuel

bathmatt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, I am about to start to build my first UDS. Question for all y'all. Do you add fuel to the fire or do you just stage your coals/wood and it lasts for the full cook time? I have a stick burner now and I add every few hours.

In my UDS design I was thinking about making a lift-off food area to be able to add fuel if needed.

Thanks
Matt

A UDS coal basket will last a long time for cooks. I have put 20lbs of lump and 5-6 chunks of wood and it lasted for 15 hours before i put it out. There was still more than enough fuel in there to keep cooking if I needed.

As aawa says, I never have to add fuel in mine. I do use very good quality lump, though. In fact I've never smoked anything, even at hot and fast temperatures, that has used half of a basket.

I have a Big Poppa UDS basket which isn't big and can go almost 16 hours @ 250. UDS cookers cook faster than anything else due to the direct radiant heat so there won't be a need to add fuel usually.

Use a Weber flip grate to add some in if you needed to.

As aawa says, I never have to add fuel in mine. I do use very good quality lump, though. In fact I've never smoked anything, even at hot and fast temperatures, that has used half of a basket.

I've never added Lump during a smoke to my UDS. ( I use Lump )
I do confess that I made a 'Jiggle Rod' to shake ash out of the basket.
A gentle shake and the ashes fall out below my basket.
(5' rod with an 'L' on the Jiggle end, and a loop on the top)

Last edited:
Shouldn't need to add any during a cook or mess with the fire, but if you do that's what your welding gloves are for. Lift out food grate, add/mess with fire, place grate back in, re-commence beer consumption. :grin:

Back