• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Green or Fresh Ham

oldsmobubble

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I ordered a fresh unsmoked uncured ham this morning from the butcher and I plan on cooking it up this weekend, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I believe it will be about 10 LBS or so bone in and I was planning on doing it like a normal ham only in the smoker. My plan is to inject it and rub it with brown sugar and pineapple rings and probably cook it at about 275 - 300 for roughly an hour per pound and then let it rest for about an hour or so. This will be a first for me so like I said before any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will take anything from cooking temps and times to injection and rub recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Oldsmobubble

MY way is coat in Honey Dijon mustard and then Brown Sugar with a hint of dry rub. (not too much). Two hours at 225 with fruit wood (usually cherry or apple) then wrap after basting with pineapple juice. Then Glaze at IT of 140 or so. Just MY way of doing it...plenty of other ways.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but a fresh or green ham is really just a pork shoulder or picnic depending how it is cut. If you cook it as you say, it will turn out like a pork butt, or shoulder, nothing like a cured and smoked ham. So cook it like a pork butt or picnic, same internal temp, and seasoning , unless you want to re think it and turn it into a ham with a cure first. Its been a long while since I cooked one, not easy to find unless I went to a butcher shop I guess, so maybe I just am not reading your post right.
Dave

I'm with Dave on this. Sounds like you're gonna have pulled pork not ham. I'm not sure you can cure it in time for turkey day. Maybe if you have it cut into smaller pieces. I've never cured my own whole ham, but someone here should be able to help.

A fresh or green ham is the pigs hind leg, Dave, not the shoulder. To Olds - It makes a great roast. It CAN be cooked like a butt or picnic, but cooked to a sliceable temp works out better for my tastes. We posted a similar thread a few years ago and got some good replies. Our cook starts on page two.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97424&highlight=ham

Last edited:
If you want it to be like a ham, you need to brine that sucker and let it sit for a week. Otherwise, it is just a pork roast.

A fresh or green ham is the pigs hind leg, Dave, not the shoulder. To Olds - It makes a great roast. It CAN be cooked like a butt or picnic, but cooked to a sliceable temp works out better for my tastes. We posted a similar thread a few years ago and got some good replies. Our cook starts on page two.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97424&highlight=ham

Thanks for the info, was not sure of the location on the pig, I just new it was not going to be what he thought. I forgot to mention it will usually be a lot bigger than a butt or picnic.
Dave

Back