Greasyhill Customs Model 400 Smoker w/rib box: Review and Modifications

looks good

makes me wonder how much extra the mods to make it breathe correctly would cost him to do.

just seems to me the thing should at least breathe correctly to begin with

the other stuff, I can see not including becasue of cost

Last edited:
I think it is great that you have documented the mods to make this style a better cooker. If I recall coreectly there are about three different builders making this style cooker and all have had problems documented on the forum in the last year or so. Glad you have one with the 6" exhaust to start with, that was a serious issue with the earlier units. As you said, on the plus side it is hard to beat the price point and with at least three manufacturers there is likely to be quite a few sold. It is great to have all this info in one place to share with folks so they can hopefully make an informed purchase decision and/or make mods to suit their needs. The overall style has some really appealing design features and I've seen a few other comp teams some with mods, some without managing to turn out some really nice Q. Best of luck.

Yes I do have the bigger exhaust thank goodness

nothing but respect for you man. It's great to see someone getting a cheaper rig and improving it to what you want it to be.. adding a little sweat equity in your pit now.. you will be so much prouder when you are cooking on her now.. i for one.. applaud you! I don't have as much respect for people that buy a lower cost rig and just complain about it... (its a lower cost rig for a reason)

nothing but respect for you man. It's great to see someone getting a cheaper rig and improving it to what you want it to be.. adding a little sweat equity in your pit now.. you will be so much prouder when you are cooking on her now.. i for one.. applaud you! I don't have as much respect for people that buy a lower cost rig and just complain about it... (its a lower cost rig for a reason)

The sweat part of it goes to others and I am very thankful to have folks around me that are willing to help out for next to nothing. I do need to cook some que for them very soon! :becky:

Ag80n, Howdy, I'm new to the site, Uncle Sam is done with me after 28 years of service. I have been reading lots on various smokers and my hat is off to you on your Greasy Hill info. I have ordered one of their BR-01's, added rib box and basket. I talked to John and they're going to take your improvements on the firebox and make the improvements when they build mine. He (John) was happy to see your post and the positive way you explained the improvements. I'll post info and pictures once I get mine. I can't wait. Regards, Chill

Ag80n, Howdy, I'm new to the site, Uncle Sam is done with me after 28 years of service. I have been reading lots on various smokers and my hat is off to you on your Greasy Hill info. I have ordered one of their BR-01's, added rib box and basket. I talked to John and they're going to take your improvements on the firebox and make the improvements when they build mine. He (John) was happy to see your post and the positive way you explained the improvements. I'll post info and pictures once I get mine. I can't wait. Regards, Chill

My hat's off to you for your service!

When I talked to John he seemed like the kind of person that was willing to listen and improve his product. I was pretty sure that if I had wanted to wait on him to build me one he would have made the performance mods himself. I just knew that I could get them done and he had the model I wanted there that day and at a really good price. I understand some of the other things he does to save production costs such as the skip welds. As I said none of those things were structurally problematic.

I wasn't sure if the air flow was really an issue till I got it home and to be honest I think you could run it with two pinwheels most of the time. The third really does help to get it on up to the 300-350 range when you need it. You could crack the door but I think adding the third intake keeps the draft better and allows hotter runs than an open door would.

Two other mods that we did that I forgot to mention were:

1. to seal the sides of the reverse flow plate with some 1 inch strips (decent size gap there on mine)
2. added a ring and bolt to the base of the propane tank holder to help secure it- may not be needed but couldn't hurt

One other thing I am going to do is add an RV level to the tongue. These things work best with a little nose down tilt and I want something there to help me hit the sweet spot each time.

Been doing a burn in it today and it has been holding 250 pretty even across the grate. The draft is very good now. Fueling with splits about 1 every 45 minutes to an hour which is what I expected.

I was actually thinking of contact John to let him know about the things we did because he seemed interested in that kind of info. Looks like I won't have to now. :becky:

For what you pay for his cooker, and especially with John doing these mods, you will get a fine cooker at a great price. :thumb:

I hope everything turns out well for you and yes please post pics.

ag80n.
Wow your post is a breath of fresh air ... usually when we buy to a tight budget (read cheap) we moan like the dickens B'coz of its faults instead of looking that we got what we paid for. Your list of mods seems easily done and the manufacturer could offer them as options depending on the budget. Its also good to see someone like John that is so upfront about his stuff, it cant be easy getting a flaming all the time for producing a cheap product cheaply. It sounds like he will be making a reasonable smoker into a better smoker in the next few. Well done all round.

Now we wanna see more pron ... Git R Dun

Muzza.

I'm looking to purchase a new smoker and have come to the conclusion that I'm going to buy one with this design to it. For the price, I can't find anything comparable. I understand they're not the "Cadillac", but they still are nice cookers and will get the job done. I do have a couple of questions for you:

Did you talk to or look at the similar smokers from Custom Pits or HBT Welding? I've spoken to Custom Pits and have looked at the HBT Welding website. I'm leaning towards Custom Pits because the smoker cylinder is now 3/8" thick and the build quality seems a little better but I haven't had an opportunity to go look at them. There's a decent price difference and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the three. I'm also a little confused at the HBT/Greasy Hill/Beam's relationship. It's my understanding that Greasy Hill and Beam's are one in the same but HBT is separate but located in the same town.

What thickness is the warming box and the grill on your trailer?

It's really nice to see the modifications you've done and how your smoker now works for you. I'm not opposed to and am able to weld and modify one if I were to purchase it but I at least want it to be square and level and don't want to have to refabricate the whole thing after I pay for it. Your documentation and photos have helped immensely and I thank you for it.

Back