Espinazo Con Lomo - basically a pork chop. I think this will just get grilled up over some lump.

P1000624.JPG

Espinazo Delgado - no clue what I'm gong to do with this. Looks like it should be put into a stew or beans...
P1000626.JPG

Interesting stuff K. That second cut looks like it comes from the spine.

What timing! I just picked up a huge box of calf fries (mountain oysters) from my butcher. :becky:
Hey... would beef cheeks be considered as a lesser known cut?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Looks and sounds very tasty Ryan... I'd eat that in a heartbeat. :becky:

Banner.gif
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Lesser Known Cuts of Meat!"[/size]
mysterymeat.jpg

Anyone know what kind of meat this is?

...as chosen by ---k---, the winner of the Saucy Throwdown!

The title speaks for itself.:nod: The rest is up to you!:thumb: There are no special rules.:tsk:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/3 through Sunday 2/12.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 2/12.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 2/13 after the "Vote" thread is submitted and will run through Sunday 2/19. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the "Make It Funky" Throwdown until Sunday night 2/5 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the "Street Food" Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

That's kaebul. They're worms. :eusa_clap Is that gonna be your entry meat, biggie? :confused:

Pied Du Cochon

Otherwise known as Pig Trotter, or Pig Foot. :becky:

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

The traditional method is to slice open length remove the shank bone and tendons, stuff then sew back together.

I used a method in Michael Ruhman’s book, which uses a knife to carefully tunnel into skin and remove the skin from the shank, like you are rolling down your socks.

IMG_0077.JPG

Once it is down to the first joint (ankle), use a meat cleaver and separate the shank from the foot.

IMG_0079.JPG

What you have now is something that looks like a Silence of the Lambs version of a ladies glove. :shocked:

IMG_0080.JPG

Now take the shank, and using a boning knife, remove the meat from the bone.

IMG_0082.JPG

A little chopping.

IMG_0083.JPG

For the stuffing I used 8 ounces of pork belly salt pork, and 9 ounces of Italian sausage, along with chopped porcini mushrooms.
IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

All in the tub

IMG_0090.JPG

Incorporate well, and fry up a small amount to check seasonings.

IMG_0091.JPG

Stuffed Trotter

IMG_0093.JPG

Wrap in cheesecloth and tie.

IMG_0095.JPG

Put into chicken stock & OJ bath

IMG_0097.JPG

And into the smoker to smoke & braise. (this will soften the skin and such)

IMG_0102.JPG

Please pay no attention to the peppers (I’m also smoking red jalapenos for chipotle powder).

After about 12 hours in the smoker at 225.

IMG_0105.JPG

With the cheesecloth removed.

IMG_0106.JPG

Edit: I neglected to mention I put it in fridge overnight to chill and congeal, then.....

Now I slice it up into 3/4” thick slices

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

Take the splices and bread them in a flour/cracker/breadcrumb mixture.

IMG_0142.JPG

and into a pan with a 1/2” of oil in the bottom.

IMG_0143.JPG

Drain and serve with Basmati rice and Artesian bread.

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

It was just as good (maybe better) than it looks.

Smoked & Fried Pork, how can it not rock!

Last edited:
Wow! That is so different. Thank you for sharing.

But, I'm trying to picture the reactions I would get from people up here: I'm eating the skin? or Fried sausage?

I'd definitely try that. It looks very tasty. :thumb:

Hanger Steak: A lesser known cut of meat that’s off the hook!

I’ve heard great things about hanger steak the last year or so, so I decided it was time to give it a try. Prized for its robust flavor, it was often called “butcher’s filet”, as butchers in the know kept it for themselves rather than sell it. Sadly, like other wonderful but lesser known cuts of beef, like tri-tip and flat iron steak, it often winds up in the meat grinder. Perhaps many of us have already sampled hanger steak in hamburgers past!

Like skirt steak, hanger steak is best marinated and cooked to no more than medium rare or it can become tough and lose its moist, tender texture. Hanger steak also has a tough membrane running through the middle of it, so it must be removed, which then separates the meat into two elongated pieces that look like a slim tenderloin.

I was able to locate some USDA Prime Hanger Steak at Huntington Meats at the LA Farmer’s Market for $5.99 per lb, and asked the butcher to trim it for me. When I brought it home, I assembled the ingredients for my marinade: Olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, fresh chopped rosemary and thyme, lemon(yes, that IS a lemon and not an orange!), and Dijon mustard.

DSC_0458.jpg

I opened the package to take a closer look:

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

I added all my marinade ingredients to a bowl:

DSC_0462.jpg

After I mixed up the marinade, I put the two pieces of hanger steak in a bag and poured the marinade over the meat, making sure to coat it thoroughly:

DSC_0464.jpg

The meat then went into the fridge for the day.

That evening, I pulled the meat out of the fridge and out of the bag:

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

I seasoned the steak with Rub Company Original rub and let the meat sit for a while so it could come up to room temp:

DSC_0474.jpg

A bit later, I fired up the Kingsford Oval for indirect, and added a piece of oak:

DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

About 10 mins later, I flipped the steaks:

DSC_0486.jpg

When the steaks reached an internal temp of 110 degrees, I put it them on the hot side of the grill:

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

I pulled the steaks when the internal temp was about 130 degrees, and brought the meat inside to rest for a bit.

Time to start slicing!

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

Serious juicy goodness:

DSC_0498.jpg

Served up and ready to eat:

HangerSteak1.jpg

The Missus and I were blown away at the fork tender texture of the meat. It almost melted in our mouths, and what incredible, rich beefy flavor! We'll be doing this again, and hope you'll give it a shot if you've never had it before...

Last shot for TD entry, please.

Back