View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default Corned Beef/Pastrami

I have been brining a brisket for the last 5 days. The TQ reciept call for 5 days per inch. Today was day 5 and I thought it would be ready, was gonna vac seal the flat, but it was a little cumbersom so I cut off a hunk. To my surprise it was almost complete, but still about a 1/2 inch in the center not cured. I measured the cut and it was just shy of 2 inches. Back in the cure. My question to anyone who has experience or knowledge in this, can I over cure this thing? Should I let it go five more days, this is a wet brine. I dont know if you can see the very center cut of the meat but it is a different color. A few pictures showing the progress.

Is it true that smoked corned beef is pastraime? If so, can you cold smoke the pastraime and then finish it in the pit. A friend in the CBBQA has lent me a cold smoker attachment for my 075 and ask if I woud do some testing for him.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote