THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ericl23

Got Wood.
Anyone want to share their method for sifting the rocks and insulation from lump charcoal?

Thanks

E

Use a different lump? I use WG Weekend Warrior lump never had that problem. If I had a continued problem with rocks, insulation ect... I wouldn't use it.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of options when it comes to lump selection in socal so I am stuck with RO which is the affordable and available. I guess I will build a box.

thanks

E

Don't bother! Just go with U.S.A. made Royal Oak lump. Never had a problem. What kind are you using?

Oh is that what your using? It's made in 3 or 4 different places. I always get the made in U.S.A. bags. No problems.

I buy it from Restaurant Depot. It says Made in The USA but I still find rocks and insulation in it.

E

My local Vons Pavilions has been carrying B&B Oak lump, which I love. I've also been getting Wicked Good via Ace ship-to-store and using coupon codes I've gotten from Brethren who've put up threads alerting us to specials.

The briqs at Trader Joes are great - they're rebadged Rancher. You can also get Nature Glo lump at Cal Char in Commerce. They have a bunch of other briqs and lump as well as splits, chunks, chips, all that. The Nature Glo can be very good but is inconsistent - no rocks, etc. that I'm aware of but once in a while you'll get bags with a lot of small pieces - but it's really cheap - like way less than $20 (maybe $14? can't remember) for a 40# bag.

If you dump it into a garbage can full of water, the charcoal will float and the rocks fall to the bottom. :thumb:

Helpful as always. You may want to stay in WP for the next two weeks. You seem to have too much time on your hands.:clap2:

I was actually going to say burn the charcoal and pick the rocks off the fire grate.

Back