how far do you travel to compete?

• Thread starter Midwest BBQ & Blues
  • Start date
5 hours one way has been our longest to date. Hoping to extend our range even further this year....Farkin' price of gas!!!!!

Anybody found a way to haul a trailer with a Geo Metro ?

I live in NY and travel as far south as MD and as far north as NH. About 5 hours each way.

We try to stay within 2 to 5 hours from home, but if we make it to the regionals and the nationals for the Sam's series...WE ARE GONE!!!!!!! :thumb:

Being in the Kansas City area, I really don't have to travel more than a 2 hour drive to get to any contest (and some weekends, I have up to 6 contests to pick from), so I stay mostly local. We are planning on one contest in Castle Rock, Colorado which will be about a 10 hour drive (this is more for family, old friends, and old classmates).

I've done up to 8 hours (470 miles) each way in the last two years but because of gas prices I won't be doing that anymore. Next year the maximum distance will be cut down to about 4.5 hours (250 miles) each way. Basically in half. Sucks because there are a couple of comps that I enjoy but will be forced to drop them.

Russ

Our farthest to date was about 6 hours, 1 way, but I'd consider longer if I thought it was worth it. With gas where it is though, feeding my avalanche pulling a trailer gets expensive quickly

Typically no more than 6 hours, going is not so bad, it is the darn ride back that gets long

We have 50 or so contests with in 100 miles of San Antonio so thats what I try to keep it to. I do about 6 or 8 contests outside that range in the Houston area or north of Austin. We have a few hundred comps in Texas alone so I never leave the state. It's a five hour ride to the nearest state line so why leave?

Greetings all, i'm trying to get an idea of how far teams travel for a contest. Your input is greatly appreciated.

hey, I'm blessed to have so many competitions down here in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas that I don't have to travel move than 5 hours and I can stay busy both seasons. This is my rookie year and I'll do a total of 14-16 competitions and not drive more than 4.5 hours.

As long as we have the money, there is no limit. 2 years ago we traveled to NY 5 times.

We are lucky that 7 of our 10 contest for the season are less than 100 miles one way. We've already knocked out 2 of those 3 long hauls for the season.

Back