root wad for smoking

chomper's bbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Second half of yesterdays question. Is there any reason not to smoke with the root wad from an uprooted peach tree that has been power-washed clean? Does below grade add a funk to the wood?

I have never smoked with roots, but I often run a stump grinder as part of my business. While grinding, some roots have a significantly earthier odor than the same tree above grade. I would do a test burn in my fire-pit before committing meat to the mix. Sometimes, earthy is a useful flavor component.
Even after pressure washing, the roots likely hold some sand in the bark and sometimes even in the wood itself. Be prepared to sharpen your saw or axe far more frequently than above ground.

The evidence sounds pretty clear if the stump smells earthy I'll likely get funky bbq. thanks for the heads up. I'll use it for the fire pit and enjoy a stogey instead of ruining some meat.

Heck, I shave the bark off too. Watch the color of your smoke. thin blue or almost invisible is clean. Grey or black is rancid and will bitter the meat quick. You can smell it.

Back