Need Ideas to Feed a Group of People...

Imp81318

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, my Grandfather recently passed away and I'm expecting a bunch of family to gather this Sunday at my sister's house. I'll be travelling in from out of town Sunday morning, but I'd like to cook something for dinner for the group. I'm thinking something that will be reasonably forgiving and low maintenance to cook. Cooking space is limited to my 18.5" WSM.

My initial thought was to throw a couple of butts and a chuck roast on and do pepper stout beef and pulled pork, but I doubt I'll have enough time. I'll be arriving around 10AM Sunday so meat will likely not get on the smoker until close to 11:30 or noon and I'd like to be able to eat around 6:30 when the last of the out-of-town cousins arrives. Any other suggestions? I'm guessing 20-30 people.

I'm sorry for your loss.

This is predicated on the ability to travel with cooked meat kept below the danger zone -

If you have access to a sous vide setup and some coolers I'd season/sear and cook the meat prior to leaving then into the icebox. From there to the coolers to the WSM when you want to warm the items up and add some smoke flavor.

If you are driving I'd recommend cooking the day before and transporting. You have very short window to get much done. If you have to cook there, maybe a half dozen meat loafs?

I'd also stick to short smokes - maybe 6-8 tri tips, maybe some pork tenderloins mixed in.

Travelling with cooked meat isn't a problem as it is only an hour and a half drive, I just want to have breakfast with my kids in the morning since I'm not going to see them for a few days so that prevents me from getting down there earlier in the morning. And Saturday is my daughter's birthday party so not really sure how available I'll be to smoke it that day with a house full of kids all afternoon...

I kind of like the idea of meatloafs though because they can cook pretty quickly and I could do a bunch at once different flavors/styles...

Chicken leg quarters. Fill the 18.5 up, when skin is nice and dark place in roasting pan and cover and then into the oven (to finish cooking). Then repeat. On the third go around use drumsticks and/or wings. Baste often with butter/lemon/garlic and be sure to put some in the pans to braise them. Usually 30 mins on the grill and 1 hour in the oven for the quarters, about half that time for drumsticks/wings. Spiedies/italian dressing/Cornell sauce also works well.

Try tip, rib roast, pork loin, pork tenderloin, chix, turkey breast could all probably hit your marks of the # of folks to feed and the time you have to work with.

Another idea could be cook pulled pork, brisket, chucky - whatever - ahead of time, vac seal, then reheat on site in simmering water. I've done it a billion times with pulled pork and it works great.

Sorry for your loss, but the bright side of situations like this is that the family gathers and the bonds strengthen.

Try tip, rib roast, pork loin, pork tenderloin, chix, turkey breast could all probably hit your marks of the # of folks to feed and the time you have to work with.

Another idea could be cook pulled pork, brisket, chucky - whatever - ahead of time, vac seal, then reheat on site in simmering water. I've done it a billion times with pulled pork and it works great.

Sorry for your loss, but the bright side of situations like this is that the family gathers and the bonds strengthen.

We are a very close and tight knit family, and it is largely due to the values and love he and my grandmother instilled in all of us. This time together is going to be especially sweet because we'll have cousins coming in from across the country and, even though we hardly ever see them, they are just as close as the rest of us.

My condolences brother.I suggest chicken quarters,thighs and legs as stated above.

Tritip sammaches are great cold. Make the tritip the night before slice thin bring buns and condiments and your set. Sorry for your loss.

Back