I Got an A$$hole Neighbor

since the patio has a covering, what about installing a smoke draft inducing smoke stack to take the smoke that would normally come under the patio overhang up higher.

since the patio has a covering, what about installing a smoke draft inducing smoke stack to take the smoke that would normally come under the patio overhang up higher.

I was thinking this:thumb:

I would start with being reasonably accommodating. I am so sorry that bothers you! I'd be happy to make that change. I just invested a lot of money into this patio, but if you would be willing to pay to move it, I can make that change. There are no laws against using a smoker in my own yard, but I can try to help you with this if you're willing to pay the bill because it bothers you that much. You know he won't pony up any cash, but at least it looks like you give a chit.

Some people are just jerks. I would be smoking 24/7 once he started showing up at my door.

Just make sure you stay clear of any HOA Violations if you're going to war with this jackass..

I would probably try the fan but wouldn’t go any further than that, he has the right to complain and you have the right to keep using your back yard as you see fit.

Pretty much how I see it.. ******* neighbors complain.. but don't let that stop you from using your yard. when authority figures get involved.. that's when you shut them down.. simply smile, wave and move on with whatever your doing. lol

Or you could just take your concerns to the association before he does.. Cuz i'm sure your not doing anything wrong as it is.

If there are no local ordinances and the hoa doesn't have anything in writing against cooking in your backyard I would tell him to pound sand and recommend he relocate.

Do a few ribs give him some. Maybe has never a good smoked rib.

Does the guy have a fire place that he uses ? A buddy of mine had the same kind of jerk neighbor and tried to take him to court because the smoke bothered him . My buddy won because he took a pic of him using his fire place .

Mod Note:

Political content removed.

Please use the News & Politics forum to discuss the political aspects of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is CC&R's?

Every neighborhood with a Home Owners Association has a set of covenants or rules you are supposed to abide by. It's the thick book of paperwork you get when you buy the house and no one ever reads....

CC&R's are Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions. Basically the rules of the HOA.

This is the first time I have ever lived in a HOA. I have always been against it because you have to live by the rules of the CC&R's. When we were looking for a home we found housing limited in the location we wanted and settled for this one which is in an HOA.

I am going to start by reorganizing the smokers to be more out of the way and see where it goes from there. I used to have a specific skill set, but then I got old. LOL

I dont think I could move into a neighborhood with a hoa. yes they keep property values up but they're not for me. when we bought our home the large yard and no houses across the street were a big plus.

That sucks and sounds like the dude is an a hole in his whole being. Recording kids, filing complaints etc etc

Now I don't suggest this but I had a similar situation with neighbor from the next street over complaining about my smoking/parties in my back yard. I tried accommodating but he kept wanting more and more. Came to find out he was a nightmare for neighbors on his own street.

Well...... :becky: One day it all changed when he came out to my house and started taking pics of my company and being loud. So... I ran his farking arse outta my street so hard that he has never made a peep in the last 5 + years. He closed his gates and rolled his blinds up for a long time. He still lives there but I have no more issues.

Civil doesn't work with some people. Again I'm not suggesting anything only sharing my experience but a when you flip the script on some people it works and they stay out of your hair.

Of course cops were involved and there was even a detective investigating the incident eventually ended up sending him a warning letter because of his past bs in the neighborhood. Detective must've loved bbq. :mrgreen:

Come spring, I would fire up all your smokers at once. Maybe add a bunch of wood so that it smolders for hours on end. Don't cook anything, just let it smolder and create smoke.

Back