Buying a box of Briskets

scm1226

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
With prices of meat rising, we were thinking of buying a case this year when it goes on sale. Well at least get the case price.
We're Planning on doing three to four contests this year.
How many come in a case? Do you age the briskets before you freeze them?
How Long can I freeze them for?

Typically 6 come in a case unless you get wagyu. I wet age all of minebefore freezing. Usually about 40 days past the packed date 37- 42 deg un disturbed if possible. Six months are good to go possibly up to nine. Hope this hlpd

Be careful purchasing full cases. The packing houses seem to hide some really large and really small briskets in a case. I would rather pay the .20 cents per pound and select a better product.

Brisket boxes are typically around 80 lbs. Unfortunalty for us, packers don't sort briskets like they do other cuts so you might get 3 monsters in one box, 10 8 pounders in another or a mix. You just never know.

I have had good luck at RD. The guys there don't care if I open the case prior to buying so I can see what I'm getting.

I used to do that when I used wagyu's from a local source. That was the only way I could get them at a reasonable price. I kicked myself every time I did it since you have no clue whatsoever about what you will get other than knowing who the packer was. I would never buy a case again unless I could assemble it myself.

I bought a case of prime a few months ago which I had my meat guy special order and there were 7 briskets in that case. I was pleased with 2 or 3 of them but the rest were 10 pounds or under. Price was good but not sure if I'll be buying anymore cases because I can't see what sizes I'm getting.

Sounds like we have all had the same problems. I will not buy it without being able to see, touch & feel!

I've had the best luck searching for the heaviest case when "buying blind" from RD. The last case I bought was 88#'s and there were only five Briskets! That's the luckiest I've been with it though. I just bought a case this week...80#'s and there were six...with maybe 3 contest quality briskets.

Just picked up a case today. I have a buddy that works at IBP and once a month gets a pretty good employee sale discount on. This case was 5 briskets @ 80#. The smallest was just over 14#. Their wet aging in the fridge.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332482233.377089.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332482233.377089.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 100
If they are INPUT briskets they come 5 or 6 per case. Just depends on time of year and the size of the cattle coming in. I have 8 cases ordered and aging. Try and match them up and Throw them in freezer. I wouldn't wait. Prices are doing nothing but going up.

Back