Help me tell my team that this is over cooked!

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Please help us!!!!!! This is way to mushy looking, right?????

Last edited:
A little bit more time in the cooker and you would have pork pudding

Are you gonna be at Kettering? If so that pork is perfect!

Ok I am just kidding. To answer the question without my usual sarcasm that I tend to over do many times, the pork looks over cooked to me. You are not the first guy to have this happen to them. It happens to most everyone from time to time. I must ask, was that a pre brined butt?

Last edited by a moderator:
A little bit more time in the cooker and you would have pork pudding

Yum!!!!

pork_pudding.gif

Just tell them you want to try something different at the next comp. If it does better in the scoring than that should be enugh to persuade them to change.

If you ever compete in the midwest, that's cooked just perfect! :lol: If not, you might consider a few hours less cooking time! Wow! :shock: Pork pudding is NOT appetizing.

You cant always go by internal temp but what was it? If you had used a blue thermapen none of this would of happened:rolleyes::biggrin:

I was gonna say it will be impossible to tell from a picture...Like usual, I was wrong!

Just tell them you want to try something different at the next comp. If it does better in the scoring than that should be enugh to persuade them to change.

All you should have to do is tell them Sled said it looked like Pork Pudding. That should be enough to get themt o change.

Is that for a pork pie filling?

So what internal temp is your team cooking too?
How long is it being held?
And are going straight from the smoker to the the cooler to hold, or do you do something between the holding tank to stop the cook process and use the holding tank to just hold?

Last year, my first year of competing, I used to go straight from the cooker to putting the butts in a small cheap collapable cooler that went inside an Igloo that was lined with a big blanket. While it would keep a butt warm for days, it probably cooked another 10 degrees as the internal heat had nowhere to go.

I'm now cooking to the same temp, but now let the butt sit for a few minutes before going into an empty Igloo to hold. In two comps so far this year we have a 1st and an 8th in pork compared to no calls last year.

We usually cook to 180 for slicing and 190 to pull, this happened because we got wasted and slept an extra two hours. The funny thing is that one of our members thought this was great, I argued, and the scores proved me right. We were middle of the road, so I would have hated to see the bottom halves pork!!!

You might consider entering that in the Anything Butt category - Porkshire Pudding....

I can already hear the groaning....

Definitely over cooked, It has happenned to me on a few occasions. I would definitely change up the temp you pulled it at or the cooler time or both. Hard to believe that came off the pit in one piece.

If that was pulled at 190, you need to check your thermo.

You dony happen to use a blue thermapen do you?:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back