• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BQ Grills Vertical Smoker Reviews??

rutili

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Guys,

1st thank you for allowing me to peruse your forum, very, very helpful.

I am looking to buy a vertical smoker. Was set to buy a backwoods Fatboy, then I stumble on the BQ Grills website. It appears they have a comparably priced model VDS 4828.

Looks solid in terms of construction, issue is I can not find a lot of information in the way of reviews or discussion threads regarding this product.

I spoke with Melvin at BQ Grills on the phone, he was very helpful. I was hoping there may be some Brethren that can provide me an unbiased opinion on the quality (construction and performance) of the BQ VDS4828.

I only have one bundle to spend on a cooker, need to get it right the first time.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

I've never heard of BQ grills. You need to decide what kind of vertical you are looking for. Backwoods is a water type smoker where there is a firebox beneath a water pan. Some people put sand in the water pan or cook dry. Another type of vertical is a gravity feed where there is a charcoal chute you load with a firebox below it....you light the charcoal in the chute and as it burns the embers drop down on wood you put in and creates the smoke. Some well known water types are Backwoods, Pitmaker, Humphreys, etc. Some gravity feeds are Assassin, Stumps, Deep South, etc. I hope this helps....btw...I ordered an Assassin and can't wait! :thumb:

If you are considering purchasing a Backwoods, I would suggest that you compare it to a Humphrey's. A friend of mine had a Backwoods and I was going to buy one until I compared the features and values of Backwoods vs Humphrey's.

I bought the Humphrey's after comparing the two, and I have no regrets. In my personal opinion the Humphrey's out performs the backwoods that my friend owned.

Bottom line is that you have to purchase what you are comfortable with and what works for you, not what works for someone else..

Buy a little bigger than you think you need. Trust me on this.

I checked out their web site. They look well built. I like the way the corners are welded, similar to Stumps. No screws/rivets. They are located near me and I will be down there during Thanksgiving. I must check them out!

Back