Need help with holding and/or reheating ribs

mn_big_dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Next month I will be cooking 12 racks of babybacks for a wedding rehearsal dinner. Since I am also the minister for the wedding, I won't be able to cook them during the rehearsal time....as I will be at rehearsal.

My thoughts..............

Rehearsal is at 3pm, and we will return to the house to eat around 5-6pm. If I cooked the ribs to almost done in the morning, could I let them cool down, wrap them in foil and then reheat them on a grill when we get back to the house?

My fear is them getting too mushy, so that's why I'm thinking to let them cool before wrapping them.

Thoughts.....comments.....concerns?

I would cook to almost done, if doing the 3-2-1 methods, only do the 3-2 part. Foil them tightly and immediately put them in a large cooler full of bags of ice and pack the ribs in there. This will make the IT shoot down quickly and stop the ribs from cooking any longer. Leave them in the cooler with ice until you come home from the rehearsal. Once you get home fire up your grill or smoker to 300*. Keep the ribs wrapped in tinfoil and place on the smoker for 1 hour or until tender. You should be good to go

You can always cook fully Put them in Vac Seal bags and freeze Then you only have to put in boiling water to heat up

You might consider hot holding them in a 170F oven wrapped in butcher paper. I do that with spares which turn out excellent.

I smoke them unwrapped with rub only, no mopping or spritzing, until the bark looks right. Then I put a light glaze of BBQ sauce thinned with apple juice on for about 15 minutes to set the glaze. By then there is good pullback and they are getting limp and are just about to pass the bend test. I then wrap them and put them in the 170F oven for 2-3 hours.

Never have done this with BB ribs, but see no reason it wouldn't work the same. You have plenty of time for a practice run.

35b1b6957e5f95b8572ee525320123e5_zpsa0680632.jpg

50d49b0a142150d5e609bc70313fcb15_zps10fbbbe4.jpg

I would cook to almost done, if doing the 3-2-1 methods, only do the 3-2 part. Foil them tightly and immediately put them in a large cooler full of bags of ice and pack the ribs in there. This will make the IT shoot down quickly and stop the ribs from cooking any longer. Leave them in the cooler with ice until you come home from the rehearsal. Once you get home fire up your grill or smoker to 300*. Keep the ribs wrapped in tinfoil and place on the smoker for 1 hour or until tender. You should be good to go

I have been doing ribs "no-foil" recently....but I like your idea of putting ice in the cooler to stop the cooking process. This is probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks!!

Also keep in mind that if you're going to reheat in foil or in a covered pan, you could just finish them in the oven. It won't make any difference since they'd be foiled anyway and won't get any smoke. AND you won't have to mess with firing up the smoker.

I have been doing ribs "no-foil" recently....but I like your idea of putting ice in the cooler to stop the cooking process. This is probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks!!

This is what I do for early morning football tailgates. We are only allowed to under the parking area 4 hours before kick off which does not leave me enough time to heat the smoker, cook then eat, etc... So instead of waking up super early to start my cook, I cook them the night before with my normal dinner. Shove them in the ice cooler, and finish them off at the game in the morning. Guests and friends love them and best of all it makes life easier on me!

I don't see a problem here; put them on at 14:30 with the pit at 250 they will be ready to eat when you get back

I don't see a problem here; put them on at 14:30 with the pit at 250 they will be ready to eat when you get back

One big issue.......the rehearsal and dinner are 60 miles away from home, and I don't have a way to bring the smoker down there :)

Well that does changes things a bit. I would cook them a day ahead until they pass the bend test allow to cool then wrap in Plastic wrap they can be reheated on an oven rack at 200 in the plastic for 30-40 min and be fresh as if you just pulled them from the pit.

Back