1st Try At Canadian Bacon

K80Shooter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thought I would try my hand at making some Canadian bacon otherwise known as back bacon. As I have never done this before I only done a small 4lb piece of loin, just in case I messed up. I went with a simple cure of maple syrup, brown sugar, kosher salt and curing salt. Mixed all together then coated loin good and sealed in a foodsaver bag. As you can see I did'nt get as much air out of the bag as I wanted so every day for seven days I flipped the bag over to insure complete coverage.

After seven day I gave the little piggy a cold water bath for 1 hour to remove some of the salt.

Onto the big green egg it went along with some apple wood for smoke.The egg was pre-heated to a temp of 175*, I'm looking for an internal temp of 160*, once internal temp reached 130 I bumped up the egg to about 200* for the remainder of the smoke.

After a long wait (about 7 hours) the internal temp was hit and off it came. Rested 30 min. then sliced some up. It has a very nice pink color through out.

Also just had to have some home made biscuits to try it out with. Simply outstanding!

Attachments

• DSC00916-2.jpg
    DSC00916-2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00919-2.jpg
    DSC00919-2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00929-2.jpg
    DSC00929-2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00933-2.jpg
    DSC00933-2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00938-2.jpg
    DSC00938-2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 126
Darn fuzzy camera phones!:tsk:

Not sure which looks better,the pics or the meat!:thumb:
Well,yes I do,I could eat the BBB!:clap2:

Nice looking work mate.
Cheers.
Titch

Well, that looks just like Canadian bacon, nice going. Is there anything that looks more delicious than some fresh smoked cured meat on a biscuit? Maybe an egg on top.

that is pretty much how I do mine. Canadian bacon is sort of a conundrum though. It's more of an American thing really. In Canada, it is often called "pea meal" bacon. It is cured but not smoked, with the cooking process finished in the frying pan. Either way, it's good chit! :)

Looks good! Did you know that "Canadian" bacon was an invention of the English?

Well, that looks just like Canadian bacon, nice going. Is there anything that looks more delicious than some fresh smoked cured meat on a biscuit? Maybe an egg on top.

I do wish I had thought of putting an egg on top, I have plenty so next time I'll do that.

Looks good! Did you know that "Canadian" bacon was an invention of the English?

I saw that some where before I made this. I researched it a good bit looking for a cure I wanted to use.

I do know that now I need a good meat slicer. I've always wanted one and this is just another reason to get one.

Thanks everyone. I did enjoy sharing.

Yea, that looks great!
Fry that is some bacon grease with an egg over easy with a piece of swiss cheese on a bisket. yum.

So...what exact is this?
It looks like someone hacked off the top of a regular ham though.
Please explain.

Yea, that looks great!
Fry that is some bacon grease with an egg over easy with a piece of swiss cheese on a bisket. yum.

So...what exact is this?
It looks like someone hacked off the top of a regular ham though.
Please explain.

It is a 4lb section of the loin (think boneless pork chops). The whole loin was a little over 12lbs but as I had never tried this before I did not want to take a chance on ruining it all. It was cured in the fridge for a week before smoking and slicing. Very easy and very good.

So I would go to my meat guy and ask for a pork loin?
Sorry for the noob question. :redface:

So I would go to my meat guy and ask for a pork loin?
Sorry for the noob question. :redface:

YUP!
Or, pork loins are available in almost every grocery store meat department around here--probably cheaper than a butcher shop.

K80...
That is some great looking bacon there.
Well done.

TIM

Ok, cool.
Thanks guys. I was doubting what I was looking at, thanks for the clarification!

Back