The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

So in setting up my traeger I thought it was easy, seemed well built. Then the fire wouldn't start. Called their support and they were really friendly and are sending a new hot rod. Then I decided to troubleshoot since I'd be taking it apart in a few days anyways.

The hot rod was not plugged in. After dismantling it a bit I found that it was never plugged in. The two ends couldn't touch. Had to take apart and re-zip tie the cords to get enough length and remove the fan and firebox and hot rod to get it all together. Definitely learned more than I wanted to about the inner workings.

My guess is new model is using old parts or the schema for wiring wasn't updated and some factory worker didn't care to redo the zip ties. Oh well, working now. Looks good though. First cook tomorrow

I even found a Mak exploding on another forum.....said he shut it off then short while later his Wife asked Him to Grill something so he flipped it back on before it had cooled completely - dumped a fresh batch of pellets onto smoldering ones.......
Happened to me once. The computer malfunctioned or something and keep feeding pellets and the fire box was over run and started a big fire. Then it happened... BOOM! However I have over a hundred cooking hours now and turned out some fantastic food. Really all it is pressure blowing the lid up. Nothing you cannot contain.

So in setting up my traeger I thought it was easy, seemed well built. Then the fire wouldn't start. Called their support and they were really friendly and are sending a new hot rod. Then I decided to troubleshoot since I'd be taking it apart in a few days anyways.

The hot rod was not plugged in. After dismantling it a bit I found that it was never plugged in. The two ends couldn't touch. Had to take apart and re-zip tie the cords to get enough length and remove the fan and firebox and hot rod to get it all together. Definitely learned more than I wanted to about the inner workings.

My guess is new model is using old parts or the schema for wiring wasn't updated and some factory worker didn't care to redo the zip ties. Oh well, working now. Looks good though. First cook tomorrow
Sounds like you have a spare hot rod now. That will come in handy down the road.

I din't remember what causes the explosion, anybody?
but I seems like it was user error :noidea:
I think some of the times it is the firepot going out and then it keeps feeding pellets and you relight it and it catches on fire. Like I said above, just blows the lid up and scares you a bit. Will most likely happen to everybody once or twice. I did not read it well, but I read with the MAK it will attempt to relight the grill if the firepot goes out. It will try 3 times and then shut it down if it keeps failing. I assume if the fire goes out it will stop feeding pellets??

My advise would be on any pellet grill if your fire goes out, check the firepot and see if it is overflowing with pellets. If so, clean them out and add a hand full in for the restart. I would also shut it down, unplug it and start fresh. This way the computer is defiantly reset.

Last edited:
Wow.... Made a steak yesterday then a burger today. Long time since I had wood smoke flavor imparted into those things.....

Tomorrow is a rack of ribs and more burgers then I'm just going for it on Saturday!!! Got a prime brisket and a few chickens.

Need to take pics of the food, but here's one of the grill. Doesn't seem to be online anywhere yet.

IS-vtlpizmxLyRIrwicVbc_u645XdG7se0K17u8csLjvfRCSTZRe-096xnM-bGIxO0MZz4c1FLWM_0YqjmPkJbiOMFlvkglGACOrbuInjzM0q3cyWmRKfmv8fLuT2H6t6yIz5hoXBTU-JdxJ_fKvyFumtOtKSZYD-Le7WByDNbKhvR0Il5uAFJGhAgI4c4x0OV1CzT3gaO3eJKuvdQPIqJQHQALXO_lznTkTa2UP3bBJVJGvTM_IJOyP0OKfGA0VIa7Tvp81m5-X5vsY9y7uYe8VzAEu-kY-U4XFs1iY8eyoi1Xca3OqwsDnkVks_1hwta_oqsvD1iGxFPMsetONwmbfUhffSZPjGcNGRGseAZPpRlRA9IGhc-BhiSfAFbfQHtlc6B0uNzlsOD6Z_zCLDXUdhktnUTZTyJyLGCym8VobTHoxYgYwsEpvHVThTT2vSJVF6VudSlrYbL3rzc5cMIzMW2jV8i0LlRZt73SIILfuLbCrPEpIHYWUzpq3P31-GjReyfTOxq4vvAoq1Sg-MfWS2bu-aPGla4J7nLvvKat3BkqRN3XImzVpSytzRE9MMACfKepz0mUPayO6BHGPclnc6jOVxcg98x00Kb22=w596-h794-no

A couple of racks today in the MAK 2 Star!! Kind of did it on a whim. Had a couple of racks in the Freezer and thawed them threw em on.

First ribs in the new MAK, looking forward to see if they are better than my last smoker.

One rubbed with Lamberts Sweet Rub O’Mine and the other with BPS Money and a little Sweet Money. First time trying the BPS rubs.

Waiting for the dinner bell!!!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ab0.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ab0.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 323
BPS Money is my 2nd favorite Rub for Pork Ribs after Loot 'N Booty Everything Rub, Sweet Money is ok but like Money better, I'm not much of a fan of sweeter rubs and BBQ sauces for that matter.

BPS Money is my 2nd favorite Rub for Pork Ribs after Loot 'N Booty Everything Rub, Sweet Money is ok but like Money better, I'm not much of a fan of sweeter rubs and BBQ sauces for that matter.

Whatcha think? Little rain comining in lol

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ab1.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_ab1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Decided to go all in on the new smoker today. Brisket was removed by this pic. All ended up pretty good for a first try and overlapping proteins!

EmL2ud3bSeMA1isa6

Man pic not working from mobile

So when I worked in a smokehouse we had "recipes" these were not food recipes but temperature settings. So I was wondering if as a group we could look into smoking, ramping, and cook settings for different meats. I know we cannot make humidity settings due to lack of steam injection, but dry settings should be good. I have so real starting point for pellet grills, but for long muscle meat ham recipes we would start in the 190 range for 4-6 hours then brings it up to a cook temp over several 30 ramping increases at 50 degrees per.

Wouldn't work here. Our rain comes in sideways.:mmph:
This is why when I had an addition and a backyard patio built onto the back of the house, I made sure there was a good 9' of cover over the patio, don't care how hard it rains unless it's a Hurricane.

Any love for Grilla Grills, here? Considering getting a Silverbac for weekend cooks when I don't feel like babysitting the Offset.

I love this forum, but not impressed with the search function so far.

I have owned a SilverBac which I gave to my son, and now have their flagship Grilla. Awesome cookers a coworker also now owns a SilverBac and he says it’s everything that I had described. Excellent smoke output I personally think the Grilla puts more smoke on the food than the SilverBac but that could just be in my head since I’ve never done a side by side comparison.

Good to know. The only thing pushing me toward the Silverbac is extra space, but I may reconsider. Thanks for the input. :thumb:

You won’t be disappointed either way. They also have outstanding customer service. I had a crazy question on a Sunday and had an email back within 10 minutes

Good day all!!!

I was reading through this thread, and I'm looking to get my first pellet smoker. I just got my first stick burner and I do like it, but I can't devote hours upon hours to smoke a brisket or pulled pork, hence why I'm here in this thread.

Since I just bought a new 6 burner gas grill, I just need the smoker to smoker. I would like it to embed( I've been reading some pellet smokers don't smoke well.) a nice smoke flavor into the meats. I would also like it to have a decent cooking area( Handle a 12lb brisket,6 racks of ribs, etc. not at once though.) and Wifi too. Last, I would like to keep the price around or under $1,000.00 ( I know this may be hard), so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I've been searching, but I figured I would ask you men and women what your thoughts were.

Good day all!!!

I was reading through this thread, and I'm looking to get my first pellet smoker. I just got my first stick burner and I do like it, but I can't devote hours upon hours to smoke a brisket or pulled pork, hence why I'm here in this thread.

Since I just bought a new 6 burner gas grill, I just need the smoker to smoker. I would like it to embed( I've been reading some pellet smokers don't smoke well.) a nice smoke flavor into the meats. I would also like it to have a decent cooking area( Handle a 12lb brisket,6 racks of ribs, etc. not at once though.) and Wifi too. Last, I would like to keep the price around or under $1,000.00 ( I know this may be hard), so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I've been searching, but I figured I would ask you men and women what your thoughts were.
Under 1K with wifi, look at the Rec Tec Stampede. If you up your price point, the Rec Tec Bull would be worth a look and the Blaz'n Grill Works Grand Slam although with the Baz'n wifi is an upgrade and you would have to factor in shipping as well.

Biggest complaint I saw was keeping the glass clean. Not sure I'd even try to do that.

I am confused as to why the first person who decided to put a window on a smoker, thought it was a good idea, considering that smoke and grease are going to be flying around inside? I guess that seeing the food can help a little, but still...:wacko:

Back