Pre Trimmed

Transformer BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For those of you who trim meat prior to arriving onsite at a contest... how do you package/ transport/ store the meat after you have taken it out of its original packaging?

we put a bunch of spices on it to keep the juices from leaking out, then plastic wrap.

J/k... We just plastic wrap it.

I use a Food Saver....also, I have discovered these huge 2.5 gallon Ziplok bags that are pretty effective too.

Zip lock bags. Once its inspected, you can dump the marinade right in or season with dry rub, then reseal.

We only trim chicken ahead, b/c it comes from the farm in butcher paper. Harvested on Tuesdays.... Its more sanitary anyway. Everything else comes in cryovac, and is easy enough to do on-site.

Sean, to me, it's more than a time saver, though that's part of it. MOre than that, though, I get to do most of my knife work in my own kitchen, with running water, lots of room, etc. Clean up is SO much easier.

Doing pre-trim this weekend for the first time. Had planned to just ZipLoc it but might use the foodsaver afterall. so no one has ever questioned it and made you open the bag?

No one has ever questioned us, although I have heard that some people keep the label, if there is one, just in case. But I don't know why.

We occasionally do it to save time AND to cut down on the nasty fat globs in the dish bins. BUT disposable cutting boards make a big diff in that respect.

I usually don't pre-trim my brisket since there is normally very little to trim. I pre-trim ribs and chicken.

Back