HOW TO: Enchiladas...Tutorial from a "Rookie"

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had "take out" Enchiladas and thought "can I make it better" Did some Research, asked an expert...thanks BOB BRISKET!!:pThe last time I sought Bob's advice, I did this:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87306
I saw different "red" sauces, one was chilie based, and one was tomato based, I knew because of the family I couldn't make the all chile one, A few PM's to Bob, and he said, add the 2 together! Done deal! taste of both!
New Mexico Chilies
DSCF2697.jpg

DSCF2698.jpg

Into the bath, simmered for 15 min. Until rehydreated
DSCF2699-1.jpg

Sauted onions, and garlic w/ Salt and Pepper
DSCF2704.jpg
Pureed in food processor, then strained..(bits of skin)

DSCF2707-2.jpg

DSCF2708.jpg

Started "Tomato" based sauce.. 1- 28 oz can Crushed Tomato, 2- 8 oz. can Tomato sauce, S & P, garlic, 2 chicken bouillon cubes, water to thin, a little sugar to cut down acidity, then added Chilie Sauce to mixture for extra flavor and heat.
DSCF2706-1.jpg

Used leftover smoked chicken breast
DSCF2711.jpg

cooked up some "uncooked" tortillas from costco, good stuff! (for store bought)
DSCF2712.jpg

I "wet" the chicken w/ sauce, added cheese. Stuffed Flour tortillas, yes I know, real Enchiladas use corn totillas...:icon_blush:
DSCF2714-1.jpg

Sauced, cheesed Enchiladas, not too much, I was told it would make a doughy mess, since it was "uncooked" tortillas.
covered w/ Monterey Jack/Cheddar.
DSCF2719.jpg

Baked at 350* for 30 min. UMMMM...melted goodness!
DSCF2721.jpg

My Plate! What do you think? This my friends did not suck! Homade sauce was the bomb! I'll never buy canned sauced again! Thanks Bob!! I hope I did my "mentor" proud!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, and looks like it would feed a small crowd. Be tryin' this next hockey night. Thanks for sharing!

Also make my own red and green chilie sauce, try making with green chilies (no tomato suace though) it is the bomb. I used to also boil the dried red or green chilies, then tried using same amount of water only putting in microwave. Put water, chilies in microwave on high for 20 minutes and works the same as boiling for 20 minutes.

Yep....that's how ours look. EXCEPT we use canned enchilada sauce:shock:.

I know, I know. Homemade is the next step.

Yours look YUMMY!!:clap2:

Mentor???? Roy, I'm taking notes from you.............AND refried beans. You went all out. That not only gets hit, but gets hit twice more on Sunday! :thumb: Anytime Brother. Anytime. Now you need to try an all chile sauce. I guarantee, you will like it too.

Bob

Great work Roy, I am too lazy to do all that rolling, so I make em Sonoran style. Nice work on the sauce.

Thanks Guys! It was a good "first time cook" I did this on a week night, so it can't be too hard right?:-D

Great work Roy, I am too lazy to do all that rolling, so I make em Sonoran style. Nice work on the sauce.

Enlighten me, Bob-san, on this Sonoran style, is this like a caasserole?

Man! Those look delicious!
My mother grew up in Mexico and her dad loved cheese enchiladas in flour tortillas so that is how she learned to make them. It was simply homemade tortillas in red sauce with cheddar cheese as a filling. She currently uses a canned red chili sauce (not sure if it is by convenience or by how she learned as a child) but always makes homemade tortillas. She ends up making 2 batches as half the family likes onions and the other half doesn't. As you...I long for the meat filled ones but ya can't mess with mom!

Back