Those of you who own Lang 84s

Mahoney86

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The saga continues on my quest for a new smoker. I was dead set on a 48 model a few months ago and realized the extra space of a 60 would make much more sense as I do not want to out grow another smoker. So I have been researching like mad about the Lang 60s and was ready to pull to trigger until I continued reading and everyone with a 60 regrets not going with an 84.

Currently I cook a few days/nights a week. I like the ability to cook different proteins so that when I fire the cook up I can enjoy it all day. While the brisket or butt is cooking all day long, Ill had chicken for lunch and Ill add a fatty for breakfast. I normally cook from anywhere from 4 people to 20-30 people on holidays/parties. I would definitely like to try a comp soon and I would be interested in cooking for some charity events/fundraisers if I was asked. I also cook at football tailgates.

If I don't end up doing comps or doing any fundraisers etc.. I feel like an 84 is going to be a total waste of a good cooker and is going to be pointless to fire up on for the weekend cook. The only thing driving me towards the 84 is I found a very very good deal on an older one, but man do they just look huge!

If I were you, I'd go with the older Lang 84, and then build a UDS or buy a WSM to fill in the gaps for when you're doing a small cook. My team mate has a Lang 84 that we use for comps, but if he's cooking on a weekend or weeknight, he's using his Akorn. The only time we use the Lang is if we're doing big cooks, or for competing. But it definitely makes those big cooks nice and easy.

If I were you, I'd go with the older Lang 84, and then build a UDS or buy a WSM to fill in the gaps for when you're doing a small cook. My team mate has a Lang 84 that we use for comps, but if he's cooking on a weekend or weeknight, he's using his Akorn. The only time we use the Lang is if we're doing big cooks, or for competing. But it definitely makes those big cooks nice and easy.

That is what I am thinking. I have a WSM but man do I love tending to the fire and getting a real cooker going all day. If Im spending the money I want to use it. I also thought maybe all these guys with 60s who wish they had an 84 would want to trade or upgrade to mine. This 84 needs a little paint and some tire shine, but other than that shes mint

if you can get it for the right price I would get it

you could always trade down if it ended up being too big

Last edited:
I have an 84 and wish it was a 108. what ever size cooker you have at some point doing events you will wish it was bigger.

I have a 60D and really wanted/needed an 84, until I added a second shelf that slides out. The increased space has me satisfied...........for now.

I would go with a 84.....I have one and also know ones with 60 and I would never give up my 84.......

Not only do the dudes with the most toys win, the dudes with the most & biggest toys dominate. Go for it!:wink:

IMHO you need to make yourself happy - my big pit is a little over 60 inches and I love it but it is the biggest pain for family cooks. It covers all ous comp needs and I can handle most crowds but it is the same set up - cook - clean up if I am cooking for the family or for 70.

I bought a BWS Party last December and I can cook for the family and friends on a fraction of the charcol / clean up. When we learn it well we will use it for chicken during comps.

Get it... use it... fall in love with the opportunities.

You can always sell it. :thumb:

^^^ What they all said above. It's a real deal if it were a 60, but it's not; it's a STEAL. Worst case is buy it, clean it up, sell it for $1500 profit.

I was in your same shoes not too long ago and was going to purchase a 48, but stepped up to the 60. I intended to use it for comps and cook for the same size crowd as you. I'm glad I went with the 60 and an 84 would have been way too big for me. There is plenty of room to cook all the meats for comps as well as larger crowds. I recently had three racks of ribs, four tri tips, and 70 lbs of pork butt on the 60 with room to spare. You can read a review of my lang here; http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158441

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
All I can add....is after buying each of my cookers....I wished I had bought at least the next size up

Though I certainly understand the bigger is better theory - for cooking in
the back yard for 20+ people, I am not sure how the Lang 60 is too small.
You can fit over 200 lbs of butts or easily 15+ racks of ribs laying down
(more if you do them in racks, or if they are trimmed, maybe closer to 20+
racks). If your group of 20 eats that much then you got a hungry group on
your hands and that is another problem to itself!

If you feel you are running out of room for a backyard cook after getting a
60, use the saved money from buying the 60 over the 84 and build an UDS or
get a WSM. Let the UDS/WSM go overnight doing the big meats and use the
lang for chicken/ribs in the morning/day of the event.

As far as a competition, same thing - if you are in NJ you are cooking
KCBS, so you are doing 2 butts, 1-2 briskets, 2-4 racks of ribs and 12
pieces of chicken - that would easily fit on a Lang 60.

It is hard to get a "one sized fits all" cooker, but not sure how the 60
doesnt come pretty darn close to meeting your needs.

Back