• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Banner.gif
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Lesser Known Cuts of Meat!"[/size]
mysterymeat.jpg

Anyone know what kind of meat this is?

...as chosen by ---k---, the winner of the Saucy Throwdown!

The title speaks for itself.:nod: The rest is up to you!:thumb: There are no special rules.:tsk:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/3 through Sunday 2/12.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 2/12.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 2/13 after the "Vote" thread is submitted and will run through Sunday 2/19. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the "Make It Funky" Throwdown until Sunday night 2/5 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the "Street Food" Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

It's a good thing this throwdown time period doesn't include an equinox or a solstice. :shocked:

CD

Lesser known, like Sirloin? :shock: I'm really confused, but sounds interesting.

Funny you should mention Sirloin. I was reading a post the other day and someone stated that they were smoking a Pork Sirloin. Maybe I'm the novice here, but I had never heard of a Pork Sirloin before. Beef, definitely, but not pork. Unfortunately, the brother didn't post photos, so I'm still not sure. That was the second half of the inspiration for this one.

The first half was a commercial and interview I saw recently for a hospital and charity event for "Lesser known cancers." Not that we're doing anything here with cancer, and not that it is funny, but the phrase "lesser known..." made me chuckle. It kind of stuck with me.

And the third half of the inspiration (yes, third half!) is that I'm generally anti-hype. I get sick and tired of seeing the same thing over and over and over... like Thermopens & Apple fandom. :razz:

So, the definition of Lesser Known Meats can be anything and will be up to the voters. Obviously Pork Butt, Picnic, Hams, Ribs, Brisket, Chuckie, TriTip, Chicken are all going to score low. Pork Sirlon will work for me, but maybe not some other voters. There have to be some other cuts of pork or beef that people are like, "what the heck is that?" I could see liver, heart, or other organs also working, because while I know what they are they aren't really popular cuts of meat. I can also see some of the other types of meats, such as Goat, Elk, Moose....

So sort of an open category, as long as it is not normally a cut of meat seen. It can either be a simply a strange cut thrown on the smoker and cooked like a brisket, since we've recently learned that anything cooked like a brisket can taste pretty good, or it can be some real complex dish intended to hide the nasty taste of a nasty cut of meat.

BUT, my vision though was not taking a common cut of meat and cooking it in an uncommon method (like a brisket). But as always, the submitters are welcome to take the category and make it what they want and put their fate in the hands of the voters.

I just would like to see some new things.

It's a bit funny because growing up, pork butt and brisket would be lesser-known cuts and sirloin was oh so common, but not so on this website. When you're used to cooking everything, it's sometimes hard to imagine what is not so common. Maybe I should go buy a cow and slice it up myself into all sorts of weird cuts. Make some Q-bone steaks and some cube roasts. :laugh:

Great, here comes ---k--- with all the special rules. I swear, win a TD and people get all high and mighty :tsk:

Well, I think I might just have to handle this like Mitch Hedberg did the round-about AIDS test. He called up a friend and asked "Hey, do you know anybody with AIDS?" His friend replied "No". To which Mitch said "Sweet, cuz you know me". Now, I just need to find someone who doesn't know what beef is.

In Ecuador it is called Qui (kwee).

Jeff

Yeah, well, in the North Dallas suburbs, it's known as "grocery shopping at PetsMart." Well, unless you have a neighbor who wants to get rid of a guinea pig. In that case, the pet died of natural causes just days after getting it.

CD :heh: :becky:

Back