• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thoughts on a breakfast menu

Rusted Truck Ranch

Reaction score
I have a catering gig next weekend. Need to feed about 100. Game time was originally 2:30 and I was going with a standard offering of brisket and ribs. They changed the game time to 11:0am and want to start serving food at 8:00am.

Any thoughts on menu items?

Brisket and egg tacos?

Breakfast Strada is nice and can be largely prepared ahead. You could do breakfast sandwiches, but, using 'omelettes' instead of fried eggs. I do happen to like breakfast tacos, either pork or brisket would be good, even pulled chuck would be excellent.

Breakfast bake - get a throw-away foil pan and put in a array of items, you pick -
Scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, cheese, peppers, onions, the list goes on. You can layer this stuff in any way you like it. Bake in the oven until done, probably 45 mins. And have some toast, english muffins or bagels. Home fries too. My wife makes this once in a while, the kids love it, so I'm sure most people will too. You can even make different ones and label them so they know whats in them.
Oh I just noticed you are using your smoker, you could bake this stuff at home first or use the smoker as an oven and cover the trays.
Good luck and post some pics when you're done !

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Thick slice of rubbed smoked balony, egg and cheese on a kaiser..wicked..we call em "The Wild Balony Sandwich"! :wink:

How about cheesy potato caserole cooked in the smoker.

Or we do a mess that is pretty tasty. You need more of a griddle set up for it but it is a big hit. We've fed baptism brunches with it before. hashbrowns, egg, cheese, onion, peppers, ham, sausage, all cooked together.

Well, we got through the event. Served about 150 between 8:00am and 10:00am. Here are the details.

1. Cooked 3 briskets the night before. Finished them around midnight and held in cambro until the morning.
2. Got up at 5:00am and had the pit on-site at 6:00am. Started the fire and put on about 125 chicken wings.
3. Started sausage links about 7:15am.
4. Started two big skillets of scrambled eggs around 7:30.
5. Food came out around 8:10.

We cooked 3 briskets, about 110 links of sausage, 250 egg, 240 tortillas, and about 125 big wings.

Some lessons learned:

Carve the briskets early. I found myself having to stop down and carve the next brisket as the line continued to form. I should have carved all three first thing and held them in smoker or cambro.

I needed about 4 people to serve the event. One guy was busy on eggs the entire 2 hours. I was working meat, and 2 folks were serving to control portions.

Chicken wings (and big ones) always take longer than I remember. Wings came out a bit late (about 8:30am) and I had to chase them the entire morning.

I served chopped brisket mixed in au jus with a little rub added in. This is the same technique I use on my pulled pork. It made for a pretty decent taco.

We warmed tortillas in packs of 20 in the warming rack of the pit. They take longer than you'd think, but we started early and didn't have much of an issue with keeping up with demand.

All in all, a pretty decent event. I look forward to my next. I have steaks for 120 on Nov. 8th. Giddy up.

Kyle

Back