Great American Barbecue Update 2011

Now, could someone tell me what it says? My computer seems to be struggling with the pdf.

Great American Barbecue Festival Announces
Upgrades to New Overland Park Location
“New Central Location Could Draw up to 40,000 Families and
Foodies from Across the Metro”

Overland Park, Kansas (February 2, 2011)
The Great American BBQ Festival will move from its former KCK digs, to the
Overland Park International Trade Center (OPTC), 6800 W 115th Street , off of I-435
and Metcalf, for its May 20-21st BBQ blowout. Civic Philanthropist John Rubenstein
has donated the 10 acre facility to generate excitement for the area, and to bring
Kansas City’s BBQ heritage closer to home. OPTC’s Chief Engineer, Dave Easley
says that this “Is a natural combination. We are excited to bring the Great American
to Overland Park”.

In its 7th year of existence, The Great American’s Executive Director, Tracy Satterfield
remarked that “We’ve been around for awhile, and the opportunity to get closer to
the heart of the city, is timed perfectly. With over 237,000 people living within 5 miles
of the OPTC, we are can share our food, fun and philanthropy with a whole new
audience”. KCBS founder Carolyn Wells notes that the GAB is one of the city’s crown
jewels. It is one of the largest and most prestigious BBQ events in the country, and
this move will generate a lot of excitement”.

In addition to the new locale, the GAB will host over 180 championship cooking teams
vying for over $40,000 in prize money, over a spectrum of bbq contests, over 5,000
pounds of pork to be sampled, a “Peoples Choice” sauce contest, the Worlds of Fun
Kidz Zone, a children’s “Kids Que” BBQ contest, professional BBQ judging courses,
live music, fireworks and demonstrations from the Culinary Center of Kansas City,
KCBS and Southern Living magazine.

A single day admission for the event will be $10 at the gate. An all-weekend pass
is also available for $15.00 at the gate. Children 12 years and under are admitted
free. Admission to the event includes access to the barbecue cooking areas, the live
musical performances, and the Worlds of Fun Kidz Zone. For more details and ticket
information, go to: www.thinkbbq.com.

About the Great American Barbecue
The Great American Barbecue is a fundraiser for the 25-to-1 Fund, a 501 (c)(3)
organization affiliated with the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation. Net
proceeds from the event will go to Fox 4 Love Fund, Guadalupe Center, Kookers Kare
and food donations to St. Mary’s Food Kitchen of Kansas city, KS.

Where are they setting up the cooks? On the upper levels of the parking garages or what?

Will there be an invitational event? I can't tell from reading that?

If it's a traveling trophy I hope not :becky:

Based on prior discussions with Tracy, the Invite will have Friday turn-ins.

Looks like I'll be at Minnesota in May on this weekend. It will be the first KCBS comp with my family - unless another option comes up before then. I guess that's good for us. All the big dogs will be at the GAB!!!!!!!!

All the big dogs will be at the GAB!!!!!!!!

125k contest in Vegas is same weekend. Although if someone can rent equipment in one spot, you could cook invitational Thurs/Fri, GAB Fri/Sat, catch a late flight into Vegas and cook Sat/Sun in vegas. That'd be a loooooooooooonnnnnngggggg weekend

I like the idea of the venue change. At least the team sites will be relatively level. Got quite a workout going up and down the hill at Sandstone.

Any idea when the application will be available?

Now I've gotta find an RV park close to the new place - Google here I come!

:help:

Dave, unless you plan on parking your 5th wheel at a Country Club I think you might be SOL in Johnson County.

Google shows one in Merriam & Cottonwood in Bonner Springs, other than those yep SOL.

Hey Jon, does "right across the street" mean within walking / staggering distance? I've seen lots of RVs at Wally World before but I'm not sure if they allow you to drop the trailer.

There's an RV Park on 69 Highway at 335th Street about 25 minutes south of the contest. Nice easy drive - mainly highway & almost a straight shot to and from the contest.

Rutlader Outpost RV Park & Middle Creek Theatre
33565 Metcalf Road
Louisburg, KS 66053
(913) 377-2722

http://www.rutladeroutpost.com/

Hey Jon, does "right across the street" mean within walking / staggering distance? I've seen lots of RVs at Wally World before but I'm not sure if they allow you to drop the trailer.

Dave its in walking distance. I am not sure if they let you drop a 5th wheel. I will be there this weekend I will ask and let you know.

Back