• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What would you guys do, really.....long.

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I love to compete, but catering has taken my focus for the last couple years. Want to compete more, but comfortably. I really dont like competing out of my catering rig. I have a big Horizon 3 door that i've done well on, but my fec500 has spoiled me - I like to sleep, and want A/C.

So, toy hauler and fec100's? Used RV and Jambo (probably outta my league). Sell the Horizon? What's it worth? Discuss.........

I love to compete, but catering has taken my focus for the last couple years. Want to compete more, but comfortably. I really dont like competing out of my catering rig. I have a big Horizon 3 door that i've done well on, but my fec500 has spoiled me - I like to sleep, and want A/C.

So, toy hauler and fec100's? Used RV and Jambo (probably outta my league). Sell the Horizon? What's it worth? Discuss.........

Why is a Jambo out of your league? If you want to buy multiple FEC 100s then you will spend about as much on a Jambo. The pits start at $5500 and really nice ones are $7500. A new FEC is somewhere around $3500.

Is your FE 500 on the catering trailer? I have a toyhauler with an FEC100 and a large bge and love it. Only thing is it is heavy and I had to get a big truck which i see you have so that's not much of a problem. If you get the Jambo you are really dedicating it to contest cooking. Not sure how that impacts your catering if you need an fec 100.

Go with the FEC-100s, they can always double as extra cookers for those big catering jobs.

Here's my solution to the comfort problem. After cooking out of the truck, I've got a conversion van. It has everything and more! However, since I've gotten comfortable, I don't seem to do as well at competitions. But I sure enjoy the process bunches more! One thing I'm going to do is have a simple way to tow a FEC100 and another cooker. Don't really need an additional prep area, but I'd like a light Jambo type trailer to fix a nontowable cooker or two to it. Just in case I need/want to cook on something other than the Jambo (yes, it happens!).

http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/jambo.html

Here's my solution to the comfort problem. After cooking out of the truck, I've got a conversion van. It has everything and more! However, since I've gotten comfortable, I don't seem to do as well at competitions. But I sure enjoy the process bunches more! One thing I'm going to do is have a simple way to tow a FEC100 and another cooker. Don't really need an additional prep area, but I'd like a light Jambo type trailer to fix a nontowable cooker or two to it. Just in case I need/want to cook on something other than the Jambo (yes, it happens!).

http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/jambo.html
That's a nice setup. Someday I want something like that with a 6x12 enclosed trailer behind.

That's a nice setup. Someday I want something like that with a 6x12 enclosed trailer behind.

I've got a 7x16 trailer. I don't think the buzzy little MB motor in the van will have enough umph to pull it effectively and safely. Besides why would I need all that trailer room? Trailer will be for sale by spring, I expect.

How about my 8.5x16 trailer? It's small enough that a 1/2 ton can pull. Got water and tables and you can roll the FE's out on the tailgate. And if you need more cooking room for catering the 100's are great. What I like about having 3 for vending is I can cook at different temps when needed. It's a perfect comp size. Doesn't have air but that can be fixed and pull out a couple of tables and put in a fold down bunk and it's ready to go.

Back