View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I'd also try to work with one variable at a time - a lot of UDS smokers have only one ball valve - if you're "spinning plates" with four, you have four variables. You'll never know what did what.

I'd close 3 of the 4. Leave the other one wide open. Start with a set number of lit coals (12-20 i'd guess). Watch it come up to temp and if it does, then start adjusting the one valve to catch it. If it doesn't come to temp in 45 min (or it looks like it's hanging way to low), open ONE more of the valves and try to let it climb.

Rinse, repeat. If you catch it with 2, you don't need three, and so on... I'd doubt you'll need all 4 if you give it time to slowly climb. It is a lot easier to gradually bring up temp than to get a too-hot fire to cool down.

Also, i'd wager that you may not want to cook something during this trial run I am describing. Maybe some sausages or something not too expensive like brisket or ribs.