Prime Rib slicer

For a good meat slicer, you want it sharpened with a little "tooth" left in the blade edge. By "tooth" I mean sharp, but not polished edge sharp. With a little tooth left in the edge, it will slice into the meat better with less effort. Think of slicing a ripe tomato. With some tooth left in the edge, it will cut into the tomato easier than with a smooth polished edge. When you have sharpened it up correctly, a Q-tip will tend to hang slightly when drug along the edge.

If you have someone sharpen your knives tell them to leave the edges "toothy" and they should know what you want. I sharpen my meat cutting knives this way. I use an 8 inch chef knife for this and have great luck. I have a small knife sharpening business, and ask my customers what they are using their knifes for, so I can get them the edge they need for the task at hand.

Blessings,
Omar

Wusthof Grand brisket slicer here. Best slicer for brisket, Prime rib, ribs and fatties.

I'm with "retired trucker" almost any knife that is sharpened correctly will cut meat just fine. I also sharpen a lot of knifes for people. Knowing what job they are going to use the tool for is important.

I have to say though, one of my favorites is the Marttiini fillet knife. Ive had one since I was a pup. Very sharp and very high quality steel.

http://www.marttiini.fi/en_GB

Best or most bang for your buck?

You can get some really expensive slicers such as Shun or Henkles etc and they are mighty fine knives that will cost you a pretty penny.

If you want a very cost effective knife that will hold its edge for a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12...1382067867&sr=1-1&keywords=victorinox+slicing

This is a great knife. I have one, mine is over 30 years old, made back when it was Forschner-Victorinix. I used it for around 12 years in the restaurant business (hard use) and since then just in my home kitchen. Here's what it looks like after 30 years of use:
Knife002_zps93553a2e.jpg

Still a great knife.

KC

Back