Searching for the perfect Habanero wing marinade

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So, I got a wild hair and decided to make a Habanero wing marinade with the flavors that I like. It came out really good. When you taste the marinade the first flavor you get is citrus, then sweet, then peppers, then a hint of peanuts. I like it!

First, I got thrown out of the house because of the strong odor of cooking Hab's. To the shop I go, but that's OK...
Senttothegarage.jpg

So, I used 8 Habaneros, white vinegar, Red Boat fish sauce, Turbinado brown sugar, Karangsari (Indonesian peanut based sauce) thanks to Phu and Padawan, Ground dried Chiles de Arboles and Ground dried Ancho chili powder
Ingredients.jpg

The ingredients in the Karangsari
Karangsariingredients.jpg

OK, to make the marinade you will need the following:

2T ground dried chiles de arboles
2T Ancho chili powder
2Cups white vinegar
1/2-1 block of Karansari (you can sub ground peanuts and peanut oil)
1 Cup Turbinado brown sugar
8 Fresh Habaneros
1-1/2 T Red Boat Fish Sauce

Add 1-1/2 qts water to a 2-1/2 qt saucepan. Place on high heat to boil. To that add 8 Habaneros that have had the tops cut off. Boil for 1/2 hour. Then add 1 Cup of Vinegar, 1T of Fish Sauce and the rest of the ingredients. Keep adding water and vinegar while the "Witch's Brew" continues to boil. After 45-50 minutes the Habaneros will be falling apart. Add the rest of the Fish Sauce, mix and remove from heat.
When it has cooled enough, run the entire pot of marinade in a blender until the Hab's and seed are completely chopped up.
boiling.jpg

spoonfulboiling.jpg

So, to make the wings, I first dusted them with Bovine Bold then marinated them (I used the Foodsaver vacuum marinade feature) with the Hab sauce.
Habwingsprepped.jpg

Since this was a trial and the wife doesn't like spicey, I also made a batch of Teriyaki wings...

Here we are on the Performer with the wings almost done. Teriyaki on left, Habs on right. I mopped these every 30 minutes and cooked them at 325-350 for about 3 hours. Pile them high and knock down and repile every 30 minutes per Groundhog66

TeriyakiandHabwingsonWeber.jpg

I was also going to grill some asparagus and heat up some garlic bread so decided to fire up the Santa Maria grill.
pitfiredup2.jpg

Asparagusandbreadonthegrill.jpg

Asparagusandbreadonthegrill2.jpg

And there you have it. Before I could take a decent pic of the result, most were eaten.
Platedwings.jpg

This is one of the Hab wings.
Habwing1.jpg

These were IMO really good and met my objective. Not too hot but lots of flavor. I stopped mopping the Habanero wings for the last hour of cooking and misted with EVOO instead. I was worried about them getting too hot. Next time I mop to the end.

Thanks Marty! I picked up a pound of habs yesterday at the market and needed something to do with them. I just might have to make up some of your marinade. Sadly I am not sure when I will get to use it though. How long do you think it would hold in the fridge? Also, Why did you dust/rub before the marinade? I would think that would have "washed" much of the rub off when you remove the wings.

Brad
A pound of Hab's?!?! Yikes!

The marinade/hot sauce has plenty of vinegar in it, so I am sure it will have a long life in the fridge.
I applied the rub prior in hopes that some of it could get in the meat prior to marinating. Why? I just love Bovine Bold...

Yeah, at the market it was $6/lb and I just hate to make them do complicated math if I don't buy on the priced quantities :noidea:

I gotcha on the rub. I just thought it was curious. I want to give this a whirl along with Oakridge BBQ's Death Dust but I am almost scared that it will be too much. I enjoy a good heat but hate when stuff is stupid hot.

Marty, that marinade looks like a winner, as does the finished chicken! Wow.

And your homebuilt Santa Maria grill is a masterpiece.

:clap::clap:

Marty, that marinade looks like a winner, as does the finished chicken! Wow.

And your homebuilt Santa Maria grill is a masterpiece.

:clap::clap:
Moose
Thanks. I am absolutely loving my new grill. Think'in about a suckling pig this weekend if I can find one....

That looks outstanding Marty, the wing sauce really makes sense. I never get tired of looking at that grill :becky:

Wings look great and with those ingredients it must have been good!

You can get Marty to build you one and we can design a backyard around it.

Awesome Grill and Great Looking Wings! Try some Oakridge Habanero Death Dust while its still avaiable, I'll bet a light sprinkling of that with your marinade would kick them up a notch.

Love the pit in the backyard!
In the 5th pic, Is that a bug on the spoon ? and did ya pull it or cook it ? lol

That really does look like a bug but it is a couple peanut pieces. I did a double take after I took the pic :)

Not a marinade, but Spoon Foods just came out with an unbelievably good Apricot Hot Sauce. I have used Spoons fruit glazes in the past (Apple Cider is a family favorite).

That grill looks fantastic. Do you have a picture of the whole thing I can look at? Would love to build one like that in my yard.

Back