GBC drops KCBS sanctioning

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It is my unhappy task to inform you that the Good Neighbor Shelter Board of Directors has voted to drop KCBS sanctioning for the Georgia Barbecue Classic in 2010. Current plans are to have a non-sanctioned Backyard event the first weekend in June at the same location in Sam Smith Park.

I will no longer be serving as Event Chair, but many of the same fine folks who have worked with the backyard cooks, judges and site committees will be returning this year. Anyone interested in participating in the 2010 GBC should contact Bill Devine through the GBC Website linked below.

On a personal note, I would like to thank each and every one of you who volunteered, judged, cooked or attended Cartersville's Pro BBQ event over the last four years. I hope you enjoyed your time here in Bartow County. It was terrific to have you here! Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Gowan Fenley

http://www.georgiabarbecueclassic.com

That's too bad. Looked like they had a BIG crowd in the "Pro" division of the contest last year.

Are you willing to discuss the particulars as to why they made that decision?

This fall the homeless shelter hired a new Executive Director and half the Board members were new. My understanding is that the Board felt they would be able to net more money for the shelter if they eliminated the costs associated with a Pro event: sanctioning fees, prize money, higher facility fees to support the large rigs, etc.

While obviously I don't agree with the decision, it's the Board's job to ensure the shelter is fiscally sound, not mine. They could be correct that they will make more money at the end of the day - time will tell. The popularity of Backyard seems to be growing at a faster rate than the Pro side, so perhaps it will be a good choice for the charity.

I wish them the best of luck! Thankfully we have a new KCBS contest just down the road in Rome this year so that will help fill the gap for the Pro teams in the area.

I am very sorry to hear this news. I attended the 2007 event in the pro division, and was planning on attending again this year. Thanks for the heads-up....

Did they happen to provide any financial information on this to show their analysis? I'd be curious to see the costs side of it. Also, did they factor in any donated food received from the pro teams and how long the food was able to serve them?

I don;t have a problem at all with the non sanctioned aspect of it. I hope they ad chicken and brisket to join the ribs, pp, sauce and stew. My team tries to cook Backyard when we can, as we are really backyard cookers that enjoy comps and as most comps only do a partial backyard we end up in pro sometimes. The lower costs associated with the backyard may bring more teams. We comp in Newnan GA teh last few years, and compete in backyard, as it is a full 4 meats comp. The backyard side of it has grown in the past three years from 5 teams to twenty something while the number of pro teams is shrinking. I think the lower costs, flexibility of cookers ( many backyard guys use gas or electric) and, for the visitors to the comp, the backyard teams seem a little more real, versus the pros that cook in comp rigs, and using the larger gravity fed and pellet cookers that most people will never have.

If they charge at the gate for people to attend, i think the backyard comp may bring more people to see what its about. THen again, just my .02 worth.

Back