Meat Inspection

Puppyboy

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My first comp is next week and there were just a few things I needed to clarify.

I already know you can not season/inject the meat prior to inspection.

When checking in at a comp, how does the inspection go?

Does the meat need to be in an original package?

It does not need to be in the orginal package...You can trim all your meat prior to the inspection but it has to be at the right temp and there can't be any seasoning or marinate...KCBS rules

The only other thing I could suggest is make sure the meat is well packed in a cooler full of ice when the meat inspector comes around. Best of luck to you in your first contest.

We use a Ziplock brand that comes in XL or XXL. The local grocery store sells them along with Sam's. Once we wash and trim, they go into the bag. I only put one Brisket in a bag at a time but they will hold many ribs and chicken pieces. In different bags of course.

The two biggest things are make sure your meat has no seasoning on it and make sure its ice cold. They may or may not check temperature but just to be safe.

I trim my meat at home and put it in FoodSaver bags instead of Zip-Locs as an extra precaution against any cooler water leaking into and contaminating the meat. It's gross when that happens! I've heard people say that you should keep the original labels.

I keep my meat in the original cryovac bags. I put my chicken in ziplock freezer bags. Then I put bags of ice on top of everything.
Ive only done a few contests. After we are setting up a meat inspector is usually driving around in a golf cart. I flag him down and we paw through the ice and he checks things out and gives us an OK.

Good Luck on your first contest.

Mike

I've never had the temps checked. Mine are always buried in ice. They just look briefly to see that I have all categories unseasoned.

If you trim and bag, make sure it's cold enough and hold onto the label and receipt in the event there are any questions.

What, you guys didn't have to go through the strip and body cavity search to ensure you're not bringing in seasoned briskets???? I KNEW that guy was lying to me!

meat inspection

I have seen at comps where they do check the temp. Just make sure to keep it cold.

WE keep the meat in the orginal cryos and bury them in ice. On 2 separate occasions last year they whipped out the IR laser thermometer to confirm the temp, so keep plenty of ice in your cooler. The inspectors will drop by, if not flag someone and tell them you want your meat inspected.

I have competed in only three cook-offs. So far they have only had meat inspections in just one. It was a big'n with 101 teams.

That said, I am competing ICBA and you are probably competing KCBS and I do not know what you rules would be. For all I know it is manditory.

Maybe I missed the reason for this...but what exactly is the meat inspection for? It's not like you're going to be cooking bad meat - any judge worth his salt will know that the finished product is bad. And an inspection is not going to level the playing field - a better or lesser cut of meat is not going to be disqualified. So why the inspection anyway?

Last edited:
Maybe I missed the reason for this...but what exactly is the meat inspection for? It's not like you're going to be cooking bad meat - any judge worth his salt will know that the finished product is bad. And an inspection is not going to level the playing field - a better or lesser cut of meat is not going to be disqualified. So why the inspection anyway?

Want to make sure the meats are not pre-marinated/rubbed etc and kept cold to help minimize the chance of turning in spoiled meat etc...

Back