BabyBack perfection

Looks like your ribs turned out great! What kind of rub did you use?

3 hours seems fast for baby backs. What temp were you cooking at?

I know you weren't asking me but...I've been getting BB's done in 3 hrs lately, cooking at 275* 2hrs on smoke then 1hr foiled if I want to firm them up a little bit I throw them back on for 15-20 min. Spares in 4 hrs same as BB's but 3 hrs on smoke 1hr in foil. Maybe I just have some skinny pigs around here.

Just threw some BBacks into the cooker yesterday at 3:00. By 6:00 I had what I believe was perfection. Pecan wood and macadamia nuts SHELLS make for some smooth tasty smoke too!

Where in San Diego are you?

Those ribs would put Phil's out of business!

I often thought if someone started a restaurant right next to his that
actually cooked real BBQ they would thankfully put him out of business!

Nice job!

Great looking ribs! I love pecan especially with chicken. I'll have to give it a go with ribs as well. Where did you get the macadamia nut shells? That's a new one to me. Thanks!

3 hours seems fast for baby backs. What temp were you cooking at?

I start cold and let the heat rise slow and let the smoke "work it" for an hour at 225° or so. Then I ramp up to 300° and hold for two hours. Since they are in a ceramic cooker, I leave them alone, no mopping or other "meat play". Only flipped them twice (start bone side down and end bone side down. We put sauce on the table, only a few reach for it. We like apple wood too! Gonna have to buy some for the next cook..... full packer cut brisket on Monday......eat Tuesday!

Looks like your ribs turned out great! What kind of rub did you use?

Rub.... I can't remember everything I put in the rub this time. Lots of black pepper, dry garlic , dry onions, seasoned salt, coco powder, ground coffee, cumin, paprika, crush red peppers, allspice, cinnamon, mace, dry mustard...... hmmmm lets see.... what else.....?

Basically speaking, we open the spice cabinet once every 3-4 months and dumped the "plausible and reasonable rub" ingredients into a bowl. This gives us an opportunity to "refresh" the spice cabinet with fresh new stuff. Makes a huge difference when cooking to use FRESH stuff!

We then mix well using a coffee grinder to break into a fine powdery rub. Can't duplicate it.... maybe that's the fun of it (perhaps making some of my purest BBQ bros cringe).

We love it!

Where in San Diego are you?

Those ribs would put Phil's out of business!

I often thought if someone started a restaurant right next to his that
actually cooked real BBQ they would thankfully put him out of business!

Nice job!

Live in Allied Gardens since 1987.

That is VERY funny you said that about PHILS. I went on yelp and threw them a lucky ONE star review (posted 2/6/12 I think) as I trashed their convection oven cooked ribs. The owner wrote back and I wrote back to him asking if he'd be willing to do some "marketing" and have a "throw down". My BBQ vs theirs. That was 3 days ago, have not heard back.

I would LOVE to build out a simple BBQ restaurant in S.D. All the folks that have sampled my Q have suggested so as well. Dreaming.........

Looks good but the only way to tell for sure is to taset them, please ship them here...

Great looking ribs! I love pecan especially with chicken. I'll have to give it a go with ribs as well. Where did you get the macadamia nut shells? That's a new one to me. Thanks!

Mac shells..... right from our tree. We have one tree (the benefits of living inn LowSoCal, most everything grows here) we get 10-20mpounds of nuts a year. LOTS of shells! Nice smoke, as the wood is also good for smoking.

Last edited:
Live in Allied Gardens since 1987.

That is VERY funny you said that about PHILS. I went on yelp and threw them a lucky ONE star review (posted 2/6/12 I think) as I trashed their convection oven cooked ribs. The owner wrote back and I wrote back to him asking if he'd be willing to do some "marketing" and have a "throw down". My BBQ vs theirs. That was 3 days ago, have not heard back.

I would LOVE to build out a simple BBQ restaurant in S.D. All the folks that have sampled my Q have suggested so as well. Dreaming.........

I trashed them a few years ago also and the co owner Yelped me back.
I am an elite yelper so he took me seriously. I have been an executive chef in Alaska in the summers and had some offers to do a BBQ place up there but no way could I live up there year round!

So did you make your ribs in a BGE?

Back