250 pages and the drum is done

My drum is finished and have done my first cook

Picture169.jpg

Picture176.jpg

Picture167.jpg

first pulled butt:lol:

Picture172.jpg

Pretty looking drum SteveMiller!
What's in the boxes in the 3rd pic on the top left,the graphic designs look like Delft's blauw"!:-D

SSN, very nice drum you built. Pork looks great. There is a great brother in Kauai, HI on this forum. No clue where that is in relation to you. He's a drum head. You could do a "member search" and drop him a line. Great guy!

SSN, very nice drum you built. Pork looks great. There is a great brother in Kauai, HI on this forum. No clue where that is in relation to you. He's a drum head. You could do a "member search" and drop him a line. Great guy!

About Keale
Location Kauai, HI
Occupation food service manager
Interests spending time with the kids, wife, Golf and fishing
Signature To Eternity and Beyond!
UDS
Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
Food Cabinet Smoker(cob web mod.)
"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=4478

Looks great Steve, next time I'm down, likely July 2010, I'll have to stop in for some Q.

What did you use for your exhaust? I'm running just a 6.5 cm hole (2.5 inches) My open top drum had no bung holes.

Big B, If you ever decide to build another...Which you will because one of your friends will want one. There is a place here in DFW that has new and unlined drums. The place is called Dallas drum, this is where I purchased mine. A piece of mind goes a long way!

Thanks Bevo. i had called them and balked at the $48 for a new unlined drum, but if I have it to do over again I will probably go that way. I'm spending my spare time instead of money now I guess :p

I did one burn with pallet wood but didn't get to go as long as I wanted to because I kept hearing sirens :mad:

I guess I'll keep working with the weed burner now instead.

Right now my whole drum is much darker inside and coated with soot so it's kind of hard to tell if it's down to metal or not. I can use the wire wheel to get all the way down to shiny again, and it's not flaking and leaving a fine powder now like it was before the burn. Nearly all the paint on the outside has flaked off already except for a couple of spots.

P1010143.jpg

P1010146.jpg

I think I'll give it one more good session with the weed burner and whatever doesn't burn then isn't going to burn at the normal temps this thing will see. And don't forget this one had what is probably the BPA lining that probably won't hurt anything but my endocrines.

Of course I am always open to suggestions or comments :-D

For the Weed Burner folks, what kind of time frame are we talkin' here, I hit the whole top section down to and including the first ring all the way around for probably 15-20 min already and this is still what it looks like after I washed it with a 409 type cleaner, its called Greased Lightning.

Right now I'm going to watch some football and perform another timed rust test :p

quietone

sound great. I will pore a cold one on ya. My ex. is just 2 in pvc in the bung hole via a mail adapter. I would feel like I died and went to heaven to bring my muzzle-popper up to your part of the world to hunt.Please let me know, it sounds great. Steve

nOOb here...! Been reading this thread for 4 days (still not done yet) and think I have enough info to get started...! Have a local place here with brand spankin' new open top drums with bare metal insides for $63...! Have already purchased all other mats for the build. They come already painted externally, will probably need to repaint after seasoning with high temp paint... Will let you al know how it goes.

Thanx to EVERYONE for the wealth of knowledge stored in in this forum...!

unless you are using your UDS as a fire pit you should be alright with normal spray paint. the drum doesn't get white hot during normal cooking.

Okay, good news and bad news. Good news = the price was wrong for the drums; I can get open lid drums for $27!!! Bad news = they were finished inside and out!. I thought I was gonna have to find a way to burn them but the company I bought them from is a drum company. They told me to bring it back and they will ball blast it to the metal for me for free! They also said that they will blast them for me from now on if I give them a heads up of what I need! They will also dehead a closed top drum I have sitting around and ball blast that for me, too...! My work week starts tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until Monday to get my drums and start building...

Sounds like a good place to have nearby. Good luck with the build and as always show us some pics when you're done!

A question, If they are a drum co, couldn't you get the barrels before the inside liner is applied as opposed to having it bead blasted off?

Back