View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #70
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

It turns out that we were actually cooking chicken satay tonight. Had a nice walk with the family this afternoon and had just opened up a beer.

This one is almost two-years ripe. It's a shame to use such a precious commodity in a marinade, but you do what you have to do.

For me, the best part of satay is the peanut sauce.

This is during the simmer. It is made by sauteing an onion and two garlic cloves in about 1/4 cup peanut oil until wilted. We cheat here sometimes and use 2 tsp curry powder and 1 heaping tsp of rooster sauce and let that cook a couple minutes to mellow the flavors. Add half a cup (or more) coconut milk, then about 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter, 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of rice vinegar and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Then throw in a cinnamon stick and bay leaf, bring it to a boil, then simmer for 5-8 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf, put the rest in a food processor, and add 1/4 cup boiling water slowly to help blend it. Then taste it. If it isn't sweet enough, add honey. We usually make double batches and freeze. You can heat it up before you serve it and stir it up if it separates. It normally only separates if you heat it up in the microwave. A dab of boiling water and a quick whisk will bring it back together. I believe bay leaves are considered vegetables.

The chicken was grilled and I served mine on rice and well-garlicked green beans.

We make this a lot, but never before with the beer. I did not expect it would be that noticeable, but the chicken was exceptional. We'll have to try this experiment again. Now go out there and vote for N8's chicken.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->