contest welcome packet

B

beam boys bbq

what do you look in this packet for :eusa_clap

i am on the board for washington mo contest
apr 17-18 of 2009 and we had an meeting to night
i have thought of somethings but i wanted your thoughts

york:wink:

Personally what I look for is shirts. It blows me away when you get 1 shirt size M or L. Now I haven't been around very long, but what I have seen most cooks don't fit those sizes. Plus normally there are more than 1 person on a team. I know the shirts cost money, but we pay good money to get into the comp. We should at least get a shirt per person out of it and not have to buy shirts there. That is just my $.02.

Shirts are nice, but lots of variables like mentioned above - sizes, how many on a team - etc, so various expense per team

Lapel pins are also nice, no size to worry about. I guess I'm not one to get concerned about what's in the welcome packet - they seem to be full of local business coupons, gift certificates, etc. And it's highly likely that I don't frequent the town that the comp is in, so it's not a big deal to me.

What part of town is your comp in? Park, parking lot, empty lot, business street, residential street? If on residential streets I think it would be a cool idea for each team to have a host house - where each team would get a friendly hand and be welcome to use their water hose, elect, and even come in for a shower if the home owner felt comfortable. In trade, the team would leave behind BBQ for the homeowner. Not exactly a typical welcome packet item, but could provide a great incentive to come back.

I like the idea of lapel pins. One per team member.

I've been to various conventions over the years on different topics .. and for some reason the organizers always get tons of mediums, some larges, and almost no XLs or larger. To be blunt, have these organizers even seen many of us in the computer or cooking fields?

I don't wear hats, but they'd be a good idea, too. Just don't go cheap and get those little tiny ones. Get full-grown-adult-male-sized hats.

Personally what I look for is shirts. It blows me away when you get 1 shirt size M or L. Now I haven't been around very long, but what I have seen most cooks don't fit those sizes. Plus normally there are more than 1 person on a team. I know the shirts cost money, but we pay good money to get into the comp. We should at least get a shirt per person out of it and not have to buy shirts there. That is just my $.02.

There are a couple of different ways to look at this. Some contests I attend throughout the year make it optional to purchase shirts in advance on your entry form. If I decide to purchase a shirt, then it had better be the size I ordered on my entry form. However, if a shirt was added to my welcome packet that I didn't order (and it doesn't fit), I will either trade for one that does or give it to somebody who can wear it. I would much rather see all of the entry fees going into the payout than to see only a portion of it coming back supplemented with a bunch of laundry. I go to contests to socialize with friends, compete and hopefully recover some of my costs. I go to department stores to buy clothes.

From an organizers point of view, we included shirts in our welcome packets last year in Kettering. They were donated by a local liquor distributor and the sizes were all over the board. The logistics involved in trying to match sizes with teams would have been a fustercluck so we threw one in each bag. Our own event shirts were available for sale in all sizes. I think most veteran teams that do the math realize anything that is "free" is either donated by sponsors or comes out of the entry fee.

I pay as much as the next person to compete and I know the money I spend on meat, rubs, sauces, pellets, fuel, beer and other necessities does not go to the organizers or their event. With that thought in mind, why would I expect them to give me anything extra just because I drove from BFE in a truck that gets 12 gallons to the mile (with a tailwind) and I only cook handcut meats that cost twice as much as what comes out of the meat case. Just put all of my entry fee in the payout, let me win and I'll decide what to wear when I throw up from celebrating too much after it's all over.

Jim, and how hard will you party when AmandaQ takes her first GC?

Onto the topic at hand....I like the idea of a shirt, but, I usually buy one at the contest anyway because any profit they make on the shirt goes to the sponsored charity...I like pins....my visor is decorated with the pins, and I cannot ruin them by cooking in them. One thing that I believe should be in packets, especially since most teams are not from the area, map....highlighting some of the area attractions...grocery, restaurant, etc...etc......
Other than that, I am just usually glad to be there, and having a blast with everyone.....and if I get a little extra, then awesome, if not, I would not hold it against the contest for future consideration....especially if everything else is going to the payouts....

While all the give me's are ok, we have a drawer full of carp from welcome packets. I think some of the better things was a coupon from a local grocery store, it was for maybe only 10 bucks off but it was something. Same with a gas card, I think it was for around $50.00 and when gas was high this summer, it was a welcome item.
Think about including a sheet with turn in times, I know this sounds silly, but I know of one person who has a very difficult time with this. Also a list of how to get ahold of everybody should a need arise. If you are going to have a pancake breakfast or other type of breakfast add coupons for that. A list of participating teams is a good idea and where they are located.
I personally feel if something isn't going to be donated why put it in the welcome bag, as an organizer, I have a lot going on than worrying about shirts, hats and pins that all cost money.
Just my 2 pennies worth.

While all the give me's are ok, we have a drawer full of carp from welcome packets. I think some of the better things was a coupon from a local grocery store, it was for maybe only 10 bucks off but it was something. Same with a gas card, I think it was for around $50.00 and when gas was high this summer, it was a welcome item.
Think about including a sheet with turn in times, I know this sounds silly, but I know of one person who has a very difficult time with this. Also a list of how to get ahold of everybody should a need arise. If you are going to have a pancake breakfast or other type of breakfast add coupons for that. A list of participating teams is a good idea and where they are located.
I personally feel if something isn't going to be donated why put it in the welcome bag, as an organizer, I have a lot going on than worrying about shirts, hats and pins that all cost money.
Just my 2 pennies worth.

I agree with you here Tom, a map would be highly welcomed. Also a list of grocery stores or Wal-Mart type stores in the area (a map from the contest area to those stores would be helpful also or directions at least). I appreciate all of the items I get in the package, but some of it I will never use.

I have never gotten a shirt or a pin so I can not comment on either of those :mrgreen:

1. A copy of the KCBS rules
2. A sheet with the emergency telephone number for:
(Mandatory to be provided to each team at a contest.)
a. Security
b. Organizer
c. Contest Rep.
3. A schedule of events including cooks meeting, turn in times and awards.

Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook

a. Security
b. Organizer
c. Contest Rep.

Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook

I agree with this. I cook and I think sometimes teams expect way to many extras and get mad about silly things.

It seems kind of like business, people only see the money going in and not out. It is very expensive to run an event and I personally much rather have an event than a fancy welcome package. Just point me in the right direction where to set up and tell me where and when to be and I will enjoy myself from there.

Teams wanting more and more every contest is the reason there seems to be a lot falling of the schedule. There is no money in it for the organizers or the governing bodies. There is no reason they should work for free.

You know, last year I included some items donated from stores at the mall, what merl said , plus directions to the nearest grocery stores, just in case.

a. Security
b. Organizer
c. Contest Rep.

Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook

Merl, thank you for the list. We are setting up our first comp and this list will be in each welcome bag for the cooks.

Hey Bob, I think DeSoto is gonna start putting condoms in their packet to help "welcome" those late night contest visitors. :lol:

Phone number to the local "talent" for late night interludes...........

Our packets get thrown out more times than not. Hand out the rules, schedules, phone numbers, etc. at the cooks meeting.

Back