• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mmmmmm Rubber

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Who doesn't enjoy a big bite of rubbery pork? That's what I said to the people at my house on Sunday, when I made the most disgusting pork loin (not tenderloin) ever.

I injected the thing with AJ, salt, and rub. Put it on the smoker at 250* for about 2hrs. Finished it with a sauce from Chris Lilly (Apple Bourbon Sauce). Made sense to me.

The sauce was nasty (I followed the recipe exactly). The pork had good color, ring, and juice. But it tasted like rubber. Anybody want to try it? I still have half of it in the fridge.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't inject a pork loin. I've never injected one before.

I prefer brining a pork loin over injecting. Also what internal temperature are you taking the pork loin too? I take my pork loins off the smoker at about 140. This will keep the meat moist and tender still.

I think I took it of at 155*.

I did buy the thing at Kroger - not sure if it was the "Moist & Tender."

Kroger pork loins here are always in an enhances solution for a "moist and tender" feel. I always stay away from their enchanced meats (unless they are a ridiculously good price) as I have found the texture of their meats seem to be different than fresh/natural/non-enhances meats.

Ah. Almost all pork at my local Kroger is their Moist and Tender brand (Even the packs of two to four chops, for example). They're already ~12% "solution" by weight, which pretty much makes them brined already. Could have been your problem if it wasn't overcooked, which it also could be at 155 IT, but not by much.

Ive missed the 140 temp a few times and never been to unpleased. I would say it was the pork itself

Big time BBQ EXPERT pitmasters make money from books:shock: you really think they are going to tell you the truth:tsk:

Nothing wrong with using enhanced meat. You just have to know it and cook accordingly.. remove all salt from your preparation.

Nothing wrong with using enhanced meat. You just have to know it and cook accordingly.. remove all salt from your preparation.

This is true, but most people are unaware when they are buying it. "Moist and Tender" seems innocent enough, and the disclosure is there, just in very fine print. Unfortunately at the local Krogers, it's either that brand, or a ridiculously priced (Organic? Premium? Green?) brand which I've had to return a couple times for smelling REALLY bad right out of the package and quit trying because of that.

I can buy at Costco, but other than that, I've amazingly found no good butchers in the Atlanta area.

I can buy at Costco, but other than that, I've amazingly found no good butchers in the Atlanta area.

That is the truth. Hard to believe there isn't one that seems worthy of the title "Butcher" around here. And I've tried every one I know of.

I prefer brining in a small piece of meat like that as well, it gets plenty of penetration into the meat. But, if you buy an enhanced tenderloin, never brine, marinade or dry brine it.

Big time BBQ EXPERT pitmasters make money from books:shock: you really think they are going to tell you the truth:tsk:

Isn't that the truth.... Everyone looks for the secret when they already had it all along... Marketing half truths make them a lot of money..

Who doesn't enjoy a big bite of rubbery pork? That's what I said to the people at my house on Sunday, when I made the most disgusting pork loin (not tenderloin) ever.

But it tasted like rubber.

What does rubber taste like??? LOL just kidding... My condolences.

I buy plenty of Kroger Meats - esp. the Green Meat Specials - like Strip Steak $4.99/lb Spare Ribs $1.49/lb ,Pork Butts $.99/lb Pork Loins, Briskets, Hams, Dead Chickens.....but I also buy at Albertsons, HEB and good ole Wally World :shock:........People slam Wally World Meats but I've never had anything from Wally World taste any different than the other 3- Ive had some better than others from the same store - - maybe I got bad taste Buds.....? :loco: but then none of the guys at Work have complained on any of it either.......even when they've chipped in......:mrgreen:

I think the same Name Stores can vary region to region?

overcooked. Take it off at 135-140 and let rest for 20 min before slicing.

Back