Dry Your Brown Sugar

Shooody

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I found a rub recipe that called for spreading out your brown sugar on a cookie sheet to dry before putting it in your rub. First time I've seen this, it's an extra step but it really mixes better with the other spices. Anyone else do this?

I haven't dried mine in the oven, but I've used the microwave a few times. It really does mix up a bit better.

Matt

I dry mine in the oven, then let cool and go over it with a rolling pin to break it back apart. Put it in a food processor once but it turned it into dust. Will have to try out the microwave method.

I assumed this was the right thing to do right from the get go. I thought the moisture in the brown sugar would cause the rub to go stale quickly.

I don't know if it causes the rub to go stale, but it does cause it to clump. I either do this, or use turbinado, which doesn't use the molassas so doesn't get so wet and clumpy

All the time ~ spread the brown sugar on a cookie sheet and place out of the way; like on top of the freezer. Several hours later, its dry and ready to go in the rub; no clumping!

Like Stoke & Smoke, if I don't have the time, I'll use either turbinado or raw sugar.

I switch a while ago to granulated brown sugar. Works great. They also sell granulate honey and powdered molasses. Have not bought and tried those yet. They are a little pricey.

Tried this for the first time 2 weeks ago! Loved it. Extra step but no clumping and shakes on wonderfully!

I've never "dried" my brown sugar, but I regularly put soup crackers in every container of rub I make... no clumping.

Hit a spice shop and get some granulated brown sugar, won't cake and produces excellent rubs. No need to do any of that curing again.

Back