UDS Builders

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Everyone should know how nice step drills are. I have more expensive ones that work fantastic. The ones from Harbor Freight are cheap and don't work as well as the ones I use. I don't know how well these work but Northern Tool is usually better quality than Harbor Freight.

335327_lg.gif

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326869_200326869

I get Greenlee from HomeDepot for my projects. I can get a bunch of use out of them if I go slow on Stainless. I generally only drill 16 gauge with them but they hold up great! I've also gotten the same Greenlee on eBay for pennies!

The step bits from Harbor Freight are FARKEN JUNK!!! :mad:

Just in case you were wondering. :roll:

I guess you get what you pay for. Except of course you are talking about their weedburners.

Funny.. I get about 6 months out of my HF Step BIts.. Finally killed one drilling into 1/4" AR Plate... for the 9 bucks they go for on sale, they get the job done

All of HF's line is Good enough... that doesnt mean its any good or anything, just good enough to do the job

Funny.. I get about 6 months out of my HF Step BIts.. Finally killed one drilling into 1/4" AR Plate... for the 9 bucks they go for on sale, they get the job done

All of HF's line is Good enough... that doesnt mean its any good or anything, just good enough to do the job

Harbor freight is a place when you need something quick to get a simple job done. Wouldn't use their tools on a family heirloom. If you use most of their stuff a few times and keep in mind that that it is an inexpensive tool it will most likely get the job done. If you are a tradesman and think you are going to buy something there and make a living with it save the bags the checker puts it in, ask them to double bag. You can use them for your clothes and aluminum cans when your homeless.

You get what you pay for true but not eveyone can justify $40-$60 to use a few times or can wait for a deal on E-bay.

If you use most of their stuff a few times and keep in mind that that it is an inexpensive tool it will most likely get the job done.
You get what you pay for true but not everyone can justify $40-$60 to use a few times or can wait for a deal on E-bay.

I agree :biggrin:. If some one has a continuing use for the tool - get a good one and damn the cost, it works out cheaper in the long run. But for the guy who is only going to use it a few times HF works OK.

I have the actual Unibit brand, I think by Irwin, they were 30-60 a piece depending on size. I think I bought them from the Snap on guy, so you could get them cheaper. I have had them for about 8 years, and have never worn them out. I used to work as a Car installer and used them everyday. They are worth the money.
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/brandProducts.jhtml?brand=Unibit

I agree :biggrin:. If some one has a continuing use for the tool - get a good one and damn the cost, it works out cheaper in the long run. But for the guy who is only going to use it a few times HF works OK.

And FOR GOD's SAKE.... buy the warranty on any HF power tools or electronics... I had a $100 dollar welder take a dump on me and the $11 I spent got me another that for some reason is just hanging in there and running when I ask it to (not to mention I kept an extra spool of wire and extra tips worth about $20 from the old machine I turned in)

You boys need to step on up and get you a set of electricians slug cutters.
Reasonable on ebay.(Damn expensive new-Greenlee)
Cuts the EXACT hole every time! Burr free, perfect!

Got them also. Knock out punches, hole saws. Collect as I go. Thing about knockout punches you still have to drill a hole. Hole saws work great with steady hand and a good drill motor.

I know the Harbor Freight stuff is for the most part junk, but I had bought a unibit for a different project from either Home Depot or Lowes and had to take it back. The second from the biggest size, the shoulder rounded off on me. Now it might have been partially user error and I was drilling thru steel probably 3/16" thick but I expected a little better mileage.

I exchanged the unibit and bought a dremel they had for the same price and finished reaming out the hole.

I know the Harbor Freight stuff is for the most part junk, but I had bought a unibit for a different project from either Home Depot or Lowes and had to take it back. The second from the biggest size, the shoulder rounded off on me. Now it might have been partially user error and I was drilling thru steel probably 3/16" thick but I expected a little better mileage.

I exchanged the unibit and bought a dremel they had for the same price and finished reaming out the hole.

No knock on you but I learned a long time ago cutting tools last when proper speed, angle to surface, pressure are used. If you buy a drill motor get a good one, meaning good chuck, variable speed, plenty of power. Balance of the tool is important to me. I "Burned" a lot of holes and ruined a lot of bits in my 28 years of fixture building. Now I let the cutter do the cutting.

Cant argue that one... I used a Greenlee set to punch out holes in stainless beer kegs( like buttah) . I wouldnt EVEN consider going to HF for one of their punches.

Back