• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butchers Paper

BrewerDJ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have seen some mention of wrapping meats, mostly Brisket & Butts with butchers paper instead of foil for the resting or cooking time. Does this do the same thing and it's just what the people use or does this have a different effect upon the texture of the meat? I was thinking about giving it a shot but if they do the same thing...?

Thanks

good question, ive been wondering as well.

it also seems like some wrap and put back onto the grill; the paper work catch fire?

They do work in a similar manner, with some subtle differences. Foil is a solid material and so will hold the juices better but will not let the meat breathe, and so there is a braising process going on and the meat will cook a bit faster. The paper is slightly porous so less braising will result, as will a longer cook time than when using foil. The paper will not auto-ignite unless unless the temp is above 451°.

They do work in a similar manner, with some subtle differences. Foil is a solid material and so will hold the juices better but will not let the meat breathe, and so there is a braising process going on and the meat will cook a bit faster. The paper is slightly porous so less braising will result, as will a longer cook time than when using foil. The paper will not auto-ignite unless unless the temp is above 451°.

Your forgot to put "Fahrenheit" near the end of that Ray Bradbury.:mad2:

Seriously though, thanks for the input. Do you think the paper gives better bark? When it's in the foil the bark seems to get soft/soggy.

Last edited:
Yes, the bark ends up less soggy. I've used it numerous times on brisket and I do end up with better bark as opposed to foil or going w/out it.

Your forgot to put "Fahrenheit" near the end of that Ray Bradbury.:mad2:

Seriously though, thanks for the input. Do you think the paper gives better bark? When it's in the foil the bark seems to get soft/soggy.

Great movie but paper will auto combust at 450 °C (842 °F) :flame:

I like the idea of butcher paper...but all the good stuff leaks out...:D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I think your meat is less greasy feeling/tasting with butcher paper compared to foil. Also, I think meat can sometimes have a dare I say it, "boiled" appearance and taste in foil compared to butcher's paper. The down side is if you are using some kind of we sauce in with the meat, marinade or BBQ Sauce, honey, etc. That doesn't really work with the paper.

this and what eggspert wrote is what led me away from the paper and to foil.

but i wonder, just now, what the result would be of panning(to catch juice)and cover with butcher paper.....

Butcher paper has a flash point around 580 degrees fahrenheit. I looked up a MSDS for it. Curiosity got the best of me on this one.

Yeah, don't worry about the paper combustion point..... if you catch it on fire, give up cooking and move on. But if you're concerned with better bark texture and consistency, then give it a go! I've used this method with briskets and butts, and find that if you want to keep the juice, wrap it and put it in a pan. You'd be surprised how much liquid you retain though with the paper! Check out the "butcher paper brisket" album on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/bonetobarkbbq

I use it for briskets,butts and ribs its personal preference really do you want KCBS bark or traditional bark, if you said yes to traditional then you should give it a shot. People have been using paper bags and such for many years to cook large meats in and it works.

Paper is porous foil aint. Foil will braise your meat bp shields it. If you like a roast beefy flavor and mushy bark your a foil guy.If you like firm bark and great bbq flavor your a paper guy. Braising anit BBQ!

There are a numb of factors resulting from the question posed. Paper does get charred below its ignition or flash point which may mean it crumbles & become ineffective and give an off taste.
Just to settle the ignition & flash points I provide:

Ignition temperature (also autoignition temperature) – The lowest temperature at which a material, when heated in air, will spontaneously ignite from the heat of oxidation in the absence of any other source of ignition energy.

Flash point – The lowest temperature at which flammable gas given off from a material heated in air is ignited with external ignition energy when the density of the evolved flammable gas has reached the combustion limit.

The ignition temperature for paper is reported to be 450 oC (842 oF), and the flash point of paper is estimated to be 350 oC (662 oF). The reference for all of this information is the Handbook of Physical and Mechanical Testing of Paper and Paperboard Volume 2; Edited by Richard Mark.

Hey in my above response I am not implying not to use paper - it is great but not at too hot a temperature

I use it for briskets,butts and ribs its personal preference really do you want KCBS bark or traditional bark, if you said yes to traditional then you should give it a shot. People have been using paper bags and such for many years to cook large meats in and it works.

Oh, and paper is not just for meats.... (my notes in blue list the time and oven temps mentioned most often when cooking in paper... starting hot then ramping down the oven for the average times listed in the charts)

SoyersPaperBagCooking2.jpg

SoyersPaperBagCooking.jpg

Paper is porous foil aint. Foil will braise your meat bp shields it. If you like a roast beefy flavor and mushy bark your a foil guy.If you like firm bark and great bbq flavor your a paper guy. Braising anit BBQ!

You can do sort of a hybrid cook with some foil on the bottom of the paper pouch, or even a foil pan wrapped in paper. If the fat cap is down, the bark on top will still be better preserved than if you were wrapping entirely in foil.....

I have one as high as 350 in Butcher paper without issue. But I like to stay about 300.

Back