• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New to Q, suggestions for cooking for a family

mr_magicfingers

Reaction score
I'm not exactly new to bbq, having grilled stuff for many years, but I'm new to slow and low q cooking. Just taken delivery of a weber kettle and have family coming to stay for a few days. Looking for a simple recipe to cook low and slow with coals to one side and meat over a dish on the other side. Need to feed 8 people.

What would be your foolproof recipe ideas for this.

Cheers.

UDS is being built but won't be ready in time :)

^^^what he said or a spatchcock chicken ( hole chicken that has been split along the back bone) both are good to start out with.

Thanks. Now, being English (despite 4 years in Texas) is a Boston Butt a pork shoulder?

Do you cook slowly until the center hits 71ºC/160ºF?

Yes Boston butt is the top portion of the front leg of pig just above the picnic. Just rub it down with some mustard and if u don't have a spice rub u can use McCormick sweet and spicy it's pretty good and throw it on at 225-250 for about an 1-1.5 hours a lb and let it go till internal of 165 wrap in foil or butcher paper with about 1/2c apple juice and let it go until internal of 195-205 your looking for probing like butter stage. It's done when there is no resistance or the bone slides out clean. Meat is done by feel not by temp I start checking for doneness at 195 I usually find they are done between 195-205

Thanks very much for that, I'll give the pork shoulder a go.

Looking at making a charcoal snake or just load one side of the kettle and light the charcoal at one end of it and let it burn across the pile.

The "snake" method will give you more consistent temps through the cook, but either method will work.
I've used this set-up to get cooking temps of 255 +/- 5 degrees for eight to ten hours, worked great for my brisket, should work for pork butt just fine.
Brisket3003_zps5fe11dbb.jpg

I place a shallow pan on top of the brick, under the cooking grate for the drippings.
KC

Pulled pork from a bone-in Boston butt is about as foolproof as you can get.
I think that's an excellent choice as well! Since you're a first timer I would suggest giving it about three hours of smoke and then wrapping it in foil for the remainder of the cook to hold in moisture. Kettles can get a little hot and the foil will act as a protective barrier. For a little extra flavor you may also want to drizzle a little butter and honey on the meat along with a little of your favorite rub before foiling. Start probing it for tenderness at about 195 F.. Pork shoulder will be very tender when it's done and that is usually around the 200 F. mark but not always. It's best to go by feel.:wink: Good Luck!!!

I'm not exactly new to bbq, having grilled stuff for many years, but I'm new to slow and low q cooking. Just taken delivery of a weber kettle and have family coming to stay for a few days. Looking for a simple recipe to cook low and slow with coals to one side and meat over a dish on the other side. Need to feed 8 people.

What would be your foolproof recipe ideas for this.

Cheers.

UDS is being built but won't be ready in time :)
I re-read your post and realized that you needed an entire recipe! So to emend my first answer I'll add the following... Trim the fat layer down to about 1/4 of an inch and slather the entire butt with some olive oil. The oil will help your rub stick and activate the spices. Apply your favorite rub liberally and allow the rub to liquefy for about 30 min. to an hour. Then you're ready to put your pork shoulder on the grill! After that my first post should pretty much cover the rest! Again... Good Luck!

Apple wood chunks are good with pork butt (don't soak them or wet them).

Nothing to add here if you're going with a butt, other than DON'T PULL IT TOO SOON! That goes for both removing from the cooker too early, and actually pulling(shredding) the meat. Don't go by internal temp to see if done^re read above posts about cooking by feel not time and temp!^
These are rookie mistakes, just resist the urge and you'll be fine. It's done when it probes like buddah. Pull the pork when it's rested long enough(in the foil)to handle without burning your hands. If you do it too soon it'll dry out on you. After resting, pull and add the juices left in the foil back to the meat for more moisture.

One more thing, plan on it taking longer than expected so start cookin early. Figure 1hr/1lb. average and pad that time. You can always hold it in an over until dinner if it's done early, but you can't get it done faster while hungry guests chomp on cheese and crackers while glaring at you because they're wanting dinner. Good luck!

Oh and welcome to the forum!:thumb:

I will throw another easy forgiving piece of meat out there, Meatloaf... Very forgiving of temp, on your first low and slow you will not be out there all day like a butt..

Have your wife whip up her favorite meatloaf.. Place indirect, at 150 throw a glaze of sauce on top, pull 165.. Simple delicious.

This isn't really all that low and slow, but I've been loving it and so has the fam. It's REALLY hard to mess up.

Get some plain chicken drumsticks. I rub them down with a little EVOO, salt and pepper. Garlic powder if you like that. Try to get it under the skin when you can.

Light about 2/3 of a chimney until it's maybe half lit. Pile the coals off to one side, lid vent on the opposite side. Put a good size chunk of apple wood on the coals. Drop your probe on the cool side of the grate. Put the lid on, vent wide open. Start with your bottom vent maybe half open, adjust it as necessary. Try to catch the temps on the way up, anywhere between 320 and 375 worked ok for me.

Once you've got it to the right temp and there's some nice smoke coming out of your top vent, drop the drumsticks on the cool side. Make sure the vent is over the food. It should hold pretty steady on temps without much fiddling. I usually cook them for an hour or so, but check the meat temps if you like and pull them around 170 or wherever you like it best.

Quick, easy, and pretty much impossible to mess up even for a n00b like me.

Thank you all very much for your advice, I'll be cooking for the folks in the next few days and will report back with my results.

Cheers.

OK, so here's where it starts.

Went to our fabulous local butcher and tried to explain what I wanted from a pork shoulder, ie a butt. Told them that I wanted a shoulder with the blade bone in and the hock cut off. This is what he gave me

IMG_2811_zpsb87ee5a7.jpg

IMG_2812_zps84236326.jpg

IMG_2813_zps1702f0c4.jpg

IMG_2814_zpsfa281ea9.jpg

Looks like I got a whole shoulder. Not knowing how to butcher this to just get the butt out, I looked on here and it was suggested that cooking the whole shoulder is a good alternative. So I sharpened up my knife and had my first go at butchery, trying to take the skin off while leaving as much fat as possible.

I think I managed to butcher it in every sense :).

IMG_2815_zpsde68aa95.jpg

However I do now have the skin in a single piece which I hope to turn into some lovely crackling by rubbing with EVOO, salt and pepper and cooking on hot coals when the rest of the shoulder is done.

I've given it a slather with some EVOO and then rubbed it with Ray Lampe's #67 BBQ rub which I made a tub of this afternoon.

IMG_2816_zps683e29bf.jpg

It's now sitting in the fridge until the morning when I'll give it another rub and leave it out for half an hour while I set up the kettle with a snake of lumpwood charcoal and hopefully have it on the heat by 8am.

UNLESS, there are suggestions here to try and butcher it down into smaller sections to just get the butt out, though I'm not sure I'd know how to do that well.

I should add that I was amazed at how cheap this was. The shoulder weighs 17lb and cost me £35 (about $50) This is prime local pork, raised on an open farm less than a mile from my house. In London, where I used to live, this would cost double that :)

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode in 'The Mad Englishman Attempts Some American BBQ'

I would cook as is - that is an amazing chunk of pork and the bones are just going to add extra flavor. It looks to me like you have a pretty healthy portion of rib meat - certainly no problem (that stuff is very tasty) I'm just trying to figure out the cut 'cause I want one! If it were me, I would be watching internal temps, but I would cook to probe tender. I can't wait to see the outcome.

Here we go then. Up early, took the shoulder from the fridge and gave it another coating of rub.

Out to the kettle and put in two bricks then surrounded them with good lumpwood charcoal, topped with 2/3 apple wood and 1/3 hickory.

IMG_2817_zps628886f2.jpg

Added a pan on to the bricks to catch juices and to fill with water.

IMG_2818_zps7bca5740.jpg

Lit a few coals in the chimney and tucked them into the corner.

IMG_2819_zpsac5fd15e.jpg

Put on the grill.

IMG_2820_zps5b95ca13.jpg

and finally added the shoulder and a thermometer at grill level.

IMG_2821_zpsc11098ba.jpg

Now we wait to see how this cooks and whether I can hold the temperature low enough.

After 1:30 the temp's currently hovering around 140C/280F with the lower vents closed almost completely and the top vents wide open. Bit higher than I'd like but not unexpected given that it's a kettle.

I might wrap in foil after a few hours if the temps climb at all, just to keep it moist and stop it burning too much. We'll see what it does.

Back