• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Weber Smokey Mountain Appreciation Thread

I guess I should add a picture of my collection.

DSC_5940-PP.JPG

I started with an 18.5 in '09 and loved it. But I found that filling it up meant I would smoke less since I'm mostly cooking for SWMBO and myself. Plus I wanted to test different smoking woods and didn't want to commit a huge amount of meat to a single smoking wood (nor did I want to run a mostly empty smoker.) Then I saw a thread on TVWBB on the mini-WSM and finally put that Smokey Joe to work. And for a couple more years this was sufficient. Except when I want to cook 6 racks of spares, I found that the 18.5 was just not quite big enough. About that time a 22.5 showed up on Craigslist for $150 so I jumped on it. The family is now complete.

I also have a plan for a hanging meat mod (AKA PBC mod) and if I get it working, I'll share with everyone here. I may do some other experimenting. I'm not sure of the lack of water bowl or hanging of the meat is what makes the difference and I hope to find out.

I love the heck out of my Weber smokers. Of course one does not live by smokers alone and I have kettles running from 18.5 through 26.

DSC_5094-PP.JPG

And I have a couple Weber gassers to round out the collection. SWMBO thinks I'm crazy but figures this is better than chasing wild women. :tongue:

after seeing all the appreciation being posted for other items, i think its about time the WSM starts getting some love around here again, so under the provision of "or occasionally dig up a classic" i respectfully awaken this thread from hibernation and give a big bbq shout-out to weber, and to the brethren for coaching me on how to use it :clap:

i now present my line-up. The Black Out, The Black Hole, and The Little Black Mamba
nYKWTBWQqYRJyV0NDrKUGZnVwNf5Yy8uY4-Nd0xAs2A=w640-h480-no

thanks and have a nice day everybody :becky:

Glad to see this thread resurrected.
A while back I took a pic of all of my WSMs out on the front yard.

Weberportraits002_zps623a5c2e.jpg

And the most resent addition - an "E" code (1983) model 1880 (14.5") WSM.

1880%20WSM%20E%201_zpsjwxxldye.jpg

It has since been cleaned up and stored in the rafters of the garage (hosting a HS football team pre-game meal).

Clark, you've got at least that many kettles too. Where the heck do you put all those cookers!? Great collection by the way!

The King is Dead. Long Live The King! :thumb:

2lcr8dy.jpg

Diggin that handle Mike! :thumb: I may get one for my kettle....

Glad you WSM guys are getting this thread going again. The WSM is a great cooker. I may not have personal experience, but I've seen pics!...lol I'd like to have one some day, but for now I'm enjoying my PBC.

I still think you wsm guys should try hangin some stuff. I think you'd like it for an alternative way to cook!

The WSM is a great cooker. I may not have personal experience, but I've seen pics!...lol I'd like to have one some day, but for now I'm enjoying my PBC.

I still think you wsm guys should try hangin some stuff. I think you'd like it for an alternative way to cook!

We hang stuff.

PICT0857_zpsft4ualn6.jpg

PICT0858_zpste9l3efm.jpg

PICT0655_zpsdlm4ja6d.jpg

PICT0666_zps2mrumgxk.jpg

PICT0679_zpstbckth7j.jpg

PICT0695_zpsiwesvepc.jpg

PICT0492_zps45f35e0b.jpg

PICT0487_zpsa27ab01f.jpg

PICT0493_zps6c610b61.jpg

fwiw - hanging meat is not a new wrinkle. I have friends the were hanging meat in UDS cookers in 2002. I'm sure it was going on long before that. PBC does make nice hooks, though. Prolly make my own if i need more ot them.

fwiw - hanging meat is not a new wrinkle. I have friends the were hanging meat in UDS cookers in 2002. I'm sure it was going on long before that. PBC does make nice hooks, though. Prolly make my own if i need more ot them.

Just to be clear I wasn't trying to say anything in a bragging manner about the PBC. Or act like the PBC is some new invention that has never been seen before. I know you didn't say I was, I just want that to be known. The last thing I wanna do is come to this thread and start causing problems. It's a WSM appreciation thread and I know better than to try and take it in a different direction. I respect the reputation the WSM has and would like to cook on one someday.

I understand the "hanging" thing isn't new, I just haven't seen many WSM folks do it and I know it'll work well. :thumb:

Last edited:
I love it, I have a 22, 18, 14 and just bought a John deer edition 18

And I just ordered the partyq Bbq guru unit for the 14.5 makes it totally portable, not that the vents don't work great, but the guru does make it even less work and does come to temp faster

Back