• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

It's a sad day--We've Lost A Brother

I only knew him through posts here, 41 is way to early. Our prayers are with his family.

Never know what to say in a situation like this.

Met Scott a few times. He was always willing to help anyone. He was a great ambassoador for BBQ and this site.

..... I'm so new to this Brotherhood, and never knew Scott had these health challenges. He responded to my naive posts in such a positive and helpful manner. He surely seemed a very nice man. Gos bless him and his family.

My prayers go out to his family, and to all the brothers that knew/loved him. I always enjoyed his posts. Although I did not know him outside of his posts here, it was obvious he was a thoughtful person, and passionate about this pasttime that binds us.

Our prayers go out to him and his family.

Learned a good deal from Scott here! I always read his post, damn!
He will be missed! My condolences to his family!

Being a relative newbie here I don't know all of you very well but I do remember his willingness to share information so that we all could become better at this craft.
My thoughts are with his family, real and in BBQ.
ModelMaker

The Origins of "e"

Some of you might notice, both in this forum for Scott, as well as on the Eulogy page and in the regular forum, the use of the term "e" in referring to him.

Way back in the early days of the forum, we had, oh about 30-50 "active" posters.

Well, on some days, we would get like 20 or so people in a chat room and have a blast. We had a large conference call or two as well, and those were always fun. When we were having software problems, we would send large "chain" emails that people kept hitting "reply to all" on. Those were some fun times.

And Scott was a big part of alot of that fun.

Well when he joined, his user ID he chose was KCquer. From the very first day, a group of us called him Scott, the missing "e" (to spell out queer). Or sometimes we'd call him KCQueer in a post with an "oops" smiley. We weren't really making fun of him, and some of the time he was not part of the chat sessions, so he didnt see it.

About 3 months into his membership here, he made a comment that he was so glad we invited him right into the fold, that we were his guinuine friends, and he was also glad people didnt make fun of his name after he realized it was one "e" away from queer.

We all laughed, and he laughed loudest, when I think it was Greg that said (can't recall chat, email, phone) "We've been calling you "e" for months now"

From that day forward, Scott took that for what it was. It was a term of endearment.

Every email, every PM, and every phone call with me from that day forward, he signed off as "e".

I will miss you "e"

As one of the newer members on the forum I didn't know Scott as you all did, but I did share several PMs with him this past year. This almost always happened on other forums. I was always pleased to see a PM pop up and find Scott had been watching a discussion develope that I was involved in. He rarely got into it on other forums but when he did it was always to help someone or dispell some BBQ myth. Thats when the PMs would come and we would share further insights on the topic at hand :rolleyes: . What I liked so much about this is he always treated me as one of the Brethren even though he knew this was not my main forum. He always made me feel like one of the guys. To all of you who were close to him I'm sorry for the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Scott had great friends in you guys.

I'm still pretty shaken up by this.

Scott helped me thru my first brisket cook. He called, PMed and IMed to make sure everything was going ok and to give me tips. With him being a night owl, we had many late night conversations but looking back, it just doesn't seem like enough. I'm so glad I got to meet Scott and drink with him at the bash. I'm glad I got to shake his hand and give him a hug. I'm glad I got to tell him, "Love you man!"

It just doesn't seem like it's enough.

In case, I don't get the chance to say to you individually,

I love you guys.

I got this phone call yesterday. Kick called me as I was putting the ribs into the cooler and getting ready to drive into town for the holiday meal at my in-laws. I remember his voice wasn't quite right and I kept waiting for him to say why he called. Then he did...

I've been trying to think of what I can say about my friend. Several times I've started to type something and closed the browser because I couldn't do it.

KCQuer-KC-Scott-Missing E-E was my friend and my brother. We joined this group within a week of each other and quickly started messaging and emailing each other. We talked about family, friends, cabinets, kitchens, cookers, and cooking. We spent many a Yahoo session designing the "utlimate cooker". I even saved some of the sessions as text files because they held such good information. My son (then almost 3) and I drove up to Kansas City one spring and picked up E to go to the Cabela's contest. We spent the whole day walking around and looking at cookers, discussing the advantages/disadvantages of every one. We talked to some of the contestants and basically tried to be as nosy as possilble without getting in their way. It was a very good day. We talked a lot about kitchen designs and cabinetry - E was going to help me with all of that when I finally get a chance to build the new house, even if it was just going over plans and helping me tweak things.

My brother, you will be missed. There are many things I will remember but 2 sayings will always be close to me - "Any wood is good for smoking as long as it's Cherry" and "Have a good weekend, Sweet Blue to all". Love ya bro - you are the Missing E. Now fire up that ultimate cooker with some perfectly seasoned cherry wood and cook a brisket and pork loin for the Father. Sweet blue, brother.

This is a shock. I had just pm'd him a couple weeks ago about the Harrisonville area due to my potential relocation. I was busy all weekend working in the house and just saw this! I wish I could attend.

Prayers go out to his family and to you that new him well.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this time.

I just saw this and am deeply saddened by the news. My prayers go out to his family and to all those who knew and loved him.

As sad as it is to lose one that we love, we have the choice (based on our faith) as seeing death as a "bad" thing or, as some choose to do, view it as a time when our brother will feel no more pain, be with those who passed on before him and best of all, to stand and look into the face of our Lord and rejoice in all of His glory.

From this day forward, Heaven has a new BBQ'er and we will have to wonder until our day comes, "Are those really clouds in the sky OR smoke from one of God's finest, newest Angels, smoking away for all of his new Brethren?"

Rest in peace Brother and save me a place at the table.

Prayers and condolences to the family.

It's at times like these that it is very hard to find the right words. I knew Scott only from his posts, but your words on this thread have helped me visualize a true friend and brother. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

Events like this re-affirm the need to live everyday to the fullest.

willkat98 said:
..........Like I posted in the Labor Day thread, it was pouring all morning, and pouring now. Someone up there gave me 5 hours to smoke on the kettle and reflect.

Thanks Scott................

Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.

willkat98 said:
The Origins of "e"

Thanks for posting that, Bill. I had heard the story at the bash last fall, but a lot of the newer members weren't aware of the history.

There's so many great posts in this thread. Mista and JT, your memories of Scott in particular hit me hard since they characterized him and his love for our hobby so perfectly.

Thanks for sharing, guys!

Qczar said:
Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.

That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...

Back