probes

Yeah.. I didn't quite pay $100 for it and that $50 one on Amazon is an older version.. perhaps fine. I also needed it right away, so I went with a local BBQ supplier. Thanks for all the recommendations. That iGrill looks great..if it is accurate... I need this fast, so I am going to check at BB&B. I do have one probe therm that can stay in the cooker.. perhaps I should just buy a second cheapie for the meat. I really liked the version that did it will one probe. B

Just as a question for speed between the PT100 and the Thermapen, what is the speed difference? Is it a 1 second difference or something considerable like a 5 second difference? on JM's review of them on youtube it seemed to be within 1 second difference in speed.

Thanks.

Yeah, I saw both JM's side-by-side comparison vid as well as the one by BBQ Bros. on their channel and both times the Thermapen and Maverick were within a second or so of each other and also within a degree or so. I need to upgrade my instant read so am going back and forth on which to pull the trigger on. I may very well get the Maverick and see how I like it after some use. If I don't like it, I'll splurge on a Thermapen and keep the Mav. in the drawer as a backup or use it when I'm cooking away from home and it's more likely to get lost / damaged.

I prefer a remote/wireless temperature monitor. Don't need high accuracy or speed on low and slow smokes.

But I would like a second thermometer to double check, calibrate, and validate the meat's temperature.

This weekend I got so sick of my $17 eventual-read thermometer that I pulled the trigger and ordered, in spite of my earlier posts, a Thermapen. I was highly tempted to go with the Maverick but have a lurking fear that the better priced offers on the Internet are actually the older models out that seemed to have some issues. Later this week I guess I'll find out if San Francisco Giants ORANGE is actually the fastest.... :flame:

Back