WallyMart Selects briskets.......

Still $3.49/lb for select here in PA. In other words, not buying. Ironically all the cryovac bags were open and had air in them. Its a shame, someone would probably have bought them sooner if they were not trying to over charge. But it felt good seeing the price and i almost wanted to tell a mananger they were spoiled.

Strange to me I have found choice at Walmart several times but NEVER at our Sam’s....

I rarely get briskets from other than Walmart. I've tried Sams and Costco and weren't impressed at all. The Walmart I go to has a bin that is crammed pack just like your picture. Always a good selection. :thumb:

BUT....Every Now and Then I am Forced to buy a Choice........

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246171

s2LrhWFl.jpg

I think I need to move to Texas. I would build a walk in freezer if I could get brisket that cheap.

I'm Forced to Smoke a Choice tomorrow - still a Wallymart cheapo tho.....

7gDT3ibl.jpg

Being select I would think the point would be less fat. I don't care as much for fatty brisket.

I rarely get briskets from other than Walmart. I've tried Sams and Costco and weren't impressed at all. The Walmart I go to has a bin that is crammed pack just like your picture. Always a good selection. :thumb:

That's the difference between brisket in TX and brisket in MD. My Walmart has 2 to choose from at any given time. 3 on a good day. And $3.xx per pound always

I went to my local Walmart last week. Not one packer anywhere to be found. Costco doesn't carry them around here either. A small local grocery store usually has a few. Run around $2.50-70/ lb.
Them and restaurant depot are the 2 places I use locally. Anywhere else is lost too dang expensive.

I have had the Honor of tasting Smitty's Brisket. He could take shoe leather and make it taste good.

Great looking cook!

Costco sells prime briskets here in Sacramento usually between $2.89-$3.29/lb. I've never any brisket at Walmart around here for less than that, and they don't have prime at Walmart. Just wondering what Costco brisket prices are in other areas.

I've tried Wal Mart's select briskets a few times, but they never turn out quite right. The flat always ends up dry and chewy. I've tried internal temps from 185 to 203 and everything in between, but the result was the same. The last one I did still wasn't probe tender at 203 after 14+ hours at around 230 - 250. I thought about leaving it on, but went ahead and pulled it. I'm glad I did, as it was quite dry. If I had left in on longer it probably wouldn't have been fit to eat.

I'm using a COS with a water pan, starting the fire with charcoal and then mainly using sticks once the fire gets going. It's a pain to keep temps steady, but I usually manage to keep it mostly between 225 and 260. I've used it to cook choice briskets from other vendors, and they turned out fantastic. So I'm blaming the cheap selects instead of the cook. ;)

I've tried Wal Mart's select briskets a few times, but they never turn out quite right. The flat always ends up dry and chewy. I've tried internal temps from 185 to 203 and everything in between, but the result was the same. The last one I did still wasn't probe tender at 203 after 14+ hours at around 230 - 250. I thought about leaving it on, but went ahead and pulled it. I'm glad I did, as it was quite dry. If I had left in on longer it probably wouldn't have been fit to eat.

I'm using a COS with a water pan, starting the fire with charcoal and then mainly using sticks once the fire gets going. It's a pain to keep temps steady, but I usually manage to keep it mostly between 225 and 260. I've used it to cook choice briskets from other vendors, and they turned out fantastic. So I'm blaming the cheap selects instead of the cook. ;)

Stop cooking to temp and let it go until the thickest part of the flat probes with no effort. Use a toothpick, wooden skewer or the Thermapen tip to probe.

I only have 2 Choice briskets in the freezer from my stash this summer. Would hate to venture back down to the Select world once it’s out.

I know Walmart keep their stock of brisket based on demand. I went to the one in Las Colinas where there’s a huge demographic shift. No brisket in sight.

Back